Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys apparently all smarts are not built the same. I'm not sure if this has come up before but, which one would you rather have, a panoramic glass roof or drop top.

I'm really debating on this one as I live in sunny socal and while the convertible sounds like fun I find the hard top to be more masculine or at least it appears to provide additional structural support. Plus I happen to think that it looks cleaner.

What would you rather have and why? Let the debate begin.:cool:

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm just not a convertable guy. Too hot here in Texas, although many drive with their tops down on 100 degree days...not me.

However, the Smarts look doesn't suffer too dramatically because of the drop-top like say a 350Z or a Z3/4 does. My apologies to anyone that has one of those cars, but they are butt ugly with their tops up. :eek:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've indicated my desire for the cabrio. I like to feel the wind in what used to be my hair. Of course, I don't open up in the heat of a day. Right now I have a Mini convertible and thoroughly enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
The 2006 and older models have 4 rooflines to choose from. The coupe can have solid (like on pure), panoramic glass, or a moonroof. The fourth is the cabrio convertible top. The moonroof options are nice on the coupes.

Tom

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm really debating on this one as I live in sunny socal and while the convertible sounds like fun I find the hard top to be more masculine or at least it appears to provide additional structural support. Plus I happen to think that it looks cleaner.
Where I am, I'd either cook or freeze most of the time with the roof open, so it's a coupe for me. But I'd consider the cabrio if I lived in a different climate.

I fear that the integrity of the tridion cell might be severely compromised on the cabrio if you remove the roof side pieces. But you can still enjoy the open air feel without that step, so no big deal.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Yes, this is the age old debate whether to have the hardtop or the cabrio.
I think almost everyone of us would like to have the ability to drop the top every now and then (and it would also be nice to lower the Smarties' roof too! :p ) Then practicality gets in the way, and we wonder about the insulation when its cold (or hot), road noise, how often we would use it, etc.....

One thing I like about the passion cabrio is that it does not look bad as a convertible. I think this is because to the removable panels above the doors that keep the tridion profile, and the high profile of the rear window and roof line. SO many convertibles look terrible compare to the sedan/coupe they mimic. (the PT cruiser was one of them.) I also like the partial opening feature as well (oops, I guess that make TWO things I like about the cabrio!) :eek:

·
Registered
183 Posts
First let me say there is no loss of structural integrety in the cabrio. The tridion is stronger in the cabrio.

I personaly have two coupes. I have several convertables and I lived in So. Cal. for years and never put the top up until the wife nagged more than I could handle.

I guess maybe I'm just from an older mine set but I beleive that a convertable shouldn't have anything above the body except the windsheld. No roll bar, no wind screen, none of that stuff. Again maybe I'm just a little older.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Like the old Beetle

Having had several convertibles over the years and as I still have a Miata (with a removable hardtop as well as the existing soft-top) I'm sticking with a smart coupe. The only thing that's a negative with the smart cabrio is the back top stack when its folded. It limits the view out the back like the old Beetle did ... you'll have to rely mostly on the side mirrors. I also noticed the rear window on the soft-top is also small but have only been in one when its folded so not sure on how bad the blind spots are with it up. The panoramic roof on the passion doesn't open but does have a nice full-length shade which should keep the heat factor down. It was warm on the last test drive and the AC keep up pretty well.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
The back of a flat-sterned vehicle, like a van or a wagon or a smart will quickly become plastered with water and road goo in wet weather. I don’t believe the cabrio has a washer/wiper as the coupe does. Maybe no rear window defroster either.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
The Cabrio does have a rear defroster integrated into the glass window, however you are right about the lack of rear washer/wiper. Of course, if the rear window gets dirty - just put the top down!! ;)

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
I choose CABRIO because I like the styling of it and I one day plan to move to either Miami or California so it will be perfect for that setting. (Plus not too mention it attracts lots of attention. I have am happily in a relationship but just think if you are a SMART lover and single what girl does not like a convertible !!!!!!)
But I think both are great its just depends on its use and your preference.

·
Registered
798 Posts
if you are a SMART lover and single what girl does not like a convertible !!!!!!)
A fair-skinned, blue-eyed, redhead in So Cal likes the concept, but not the reality of the harsh So Cal sun that the Cabrio delivers so I will stick with the Passion and keep my skin from looking like an alligator's :)

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Something I found pertinent to my choice between the coupe and the cabrio that I haven't seen mentioned in this portal.....

The cabrio makes it quite restrictive to free and open access to the rear luggage compartment.

With the top up--- the rollbar.
With the top down--- the folded top in addition to the rollbar, the lower portion has to be lifted for ease of access to the rear.

Visability to the rear via inside mirror is restricted (top up or down)
Top retracted to the rearmost (at any speed) upper level, provides a super open sunroof and the minimum backdraft.

Add that to your indecision ( It reads terrible but is meant for edification only)

People who don't like the 'Smart' car.... "Ain't got no "Smarts" !

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
931 Posts
My last two cars were and are convertibles, so that was my first thought for my reservation. However I now have reservations about my reservation. LOL I went to look at both the coupe and cabrio (gray market) to compare the two. The convertible does not appeal since you must remove the rails and store them in the trunk lid, the operation got hung up once requiring jiggling around with the mechanism, and making storage less accessible. I'm going to go for the coupe at confirmation time - if that ever comes. <sigh>

·
Registered
90 Posts
I drove both and felt some structural shake in the cabrio compared with the coupe. And that was with the top up, so I would wonder how bad it will be with the side pieces removed. I am very sensitive to the shake, so others might not notice. It was not as bad as my old Alfa Spider, but it was there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts