Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me with how you did this. All the removal tools i see are for a different bolt pattern than is on a Smart. With an available tool i will only be able to catch two holes on the pulley. Also what is the bolt size that screws into the pulley to be able to pull it. I may have to make my own. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Service info does not specify a tool used to remove. Remove belt, remove starter and lock engine in place with special tool, remove bolt and pulley. That's it.When reinstalling, tighten bolt to 150 Nm, loosen bolt, tighten to 50 Nm, then tighten further 60 degrees.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Just try a variety of sockets, likely between 14mm and 17mm for the smart. The pulley is likely to be tight once the bolt is removed so make sure your car is tightly secured on all stands before you tug and yank on that pulley. You shouldn't need to yank that hard, but some difficulty is normal. If it's way too tight, then any harmonic balancer pulley removal tool should work.

If you're having clearance issues, you'll need to lower the engine cradle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help with this. Just in case anyone else does this, there is no puller necessary. Once the belts are taken off and the bolt is loosened with a impact wrench the pulley just flops off. There is a little pin you need to match up when you reinstall it. Uploading a picture of the seal. You can see where there is a little bugger on the top. I wish the shop would have installed a new one when they put new valves in. It was a real pain trying to figure out where the oil leak was coming from. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Roadroach,
I need to do this same procedure, what method did you use to stop the harmonic balancer turning whilst you loosened the nut holding the harmonic balancer in place? Thank you for the pictures they explain so much!

Wayne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts