Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
i don't think so there's not even a decent coilover kit made for this car ATM .. all the kits ive seen only asjust height with spring preload adjustment .. which is utter crap

·
17,346 Posts
Seeing as a Smart only has about an inch suspension travel I it would be a waist of cash
I've seen JDM imports with less suspension travel than a smart on bags... :shrug:

The real question is that why would you want to put your smart on bags? It already rides like a schoolbus! :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I just installed the progressive springs. It seem like a waste of spring.
The soft part of the spring is in coil bind with the car at rest, so I'm riding on the stiff part all the time. I was thinking the air bag might ride better. By the way I don't know any thing about air bags.

·
17,346 Posts

Surprised anyone has even watched my video. :rofl2:

The credit for that (as mentioned in my description) goes to a video called "Disco smart car" or something like that. I can't watch YouTube at work so I can't pull the description. Anyway, the guy does in fact, have it on bags.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I just installed the progressive springs. It seem like a waste of spring.
The soft part of the spring is in coil bind with the car at rest, so I'm riding on the stiff part all the time. I was thinking the air bag might ride better. By the way I don't know any thing about air bags.
There is method behind what appears like madness. Let me explain.

Picture you driving down the road with the suspension at equilibrium height. Now one of two things happens, you hit a bump (upwards) or you hit a dip (downwards).

If you hit a bump, you do not want the suspension to bottom out, because *that* will cause a rough ride. To stop it bottoming there are 2 choices: stiff compression damping (which will make its presence felt on EVERY tiny ripple), or high spring rate in compression (which you will actually not notice much on small imperfections).

If you hit a dip, the main impact that you are likely to feel is not actually that of the dip itself, but actually the compression hit on the other side of that dip. The way you minimize that hit is to try to make the wheel follow the dip down while minimizing the amount that the bodyshell drops down. And the way you do *that* is to choose a spring that counterbalances the weight of the body but has a LOW spring rate - i.e. the amount that the spring force drops off as the wheel extends away from the bodyshell is kept to a minimum - the spring keeps on pushing as the wheel extends away.

So how do you simultaneously have a low spring rate on extension and a high spring rate on compression ... you use a dual-rate spring that just barely coil-binds its softer-rate coils with the weight of the vehicle.

That's what you have.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for your post. I guess my confusen comes from two sources. First it just looks odd. second comes from the ad selling the springs. There is a photo of the spring installed and there are spaces between all the coils. The ad did not say the photo was taken with the car jacked up.
Also I have learned this spring is more of a dual rate spring than a progressive spring.

Now let me say, I'm happy with the springs.
I like the stance they give the car. They really helped with the gear change rocking horse.
I haven't had the car on a curvey road yet but I think the car will be better there also.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thank you for your post. I guess my confusen comes from two sources. First it just looks odd. second comes from the ad selling the springs. There is a photo of the spring installed and there are spaces between all the coils. The ad did not say the photo was taken with the car jacked up.
Also I have learned this spring is more of a dual rate spring than a progressive spring.

Now let me say, I'm happy with the springs.
I like the stance they give the car. They really helped with the gear change rocking horse.
I haven't had the car on a curvey road yet but I think the car will be better there also.
Where did you get the progressive springs and who installed them?

After reading the description of how and why they work, I am seriously considering them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually bought mine off ebay. They are from smart madness. I installed them my self.
Any suspension shop should be able to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts