Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been suspect of my 2013 speedo. Tonight, I had both my Garmin and a cell phone app running. They showed 64 mph with a solid 70 mph indicated. I held that speed for about a mile to make sure both devices were stable. When I've gone past the roadside radar signs I've noticed odd readings below my indicated speed so I tested it tonight. My concern is the odometer. I do not know if the speedo and odometer are running off the same sensors. I was unable to check the mileage accuracy due to a lack of mile markers (dubious method anyway). With this car being a lease I surely don't want it racking up 10% more miles than I'm driving. I calculate my economy at each fill up and I'm averaging 35 mpg in stop and go traffic. That's a poor way to confirm odometer accuracy but it's all I've got so far. I'll check with our techs in the morning but I wanted to know if any of you have noticed this.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
...they all read 3 to 4 mph high....from day one...getting different size tires has helped some of the inmates here correct the issue...

Jetfuel....not looking at speed .....most of the time....OK...all the time...

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Yup, common question. Jet's right. No worries.

But, if you ask your dealer, I for one would be interested in hearing what their response is.

·
Registered
292 Posts
When going at an even speed, my Scan Gauge reads 5 MPH lower than on my speedometer. I wished I knew which one was the correct one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

But, if you ask your dealer, I for one would be interested in hearing what their response is.

Ask my dealer? You mean step out into the shop and talk to the guys when they get to work? :D

Friday is my opening day so I beat all but one or two of the techs in today.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
When going at an even speed, my Scan Gauge reads 5 MPH lower than on my speedometer. I wished I knew which one was the correct one.
Your scan gauge is correct. If you happen on one of those radar based speed monitors placed around by police departments, you will get the confirmation you are looking for.
:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I ran it past one of the smart techs this morning. He suggested driving it a known distance and checking for error.
The speedo concerns have been presented before but he never had to look into an odometer concern.
Both the speedo and the odometer get input from the same source. There are no programming changes he can perform to alter the reading. It may be a disparity with the gauge itself not reflecting the data correctly.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
As it has been discussed several times the odometer reading is correct. If you have nothing better to do you can confirm it for yourself.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There seems to be two question/comments that come up here that the sales department don't cover on initial purchase. The high whining noise at startup and the speedometer being off by 3-4 mph. Almost needs to be a sticky here :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is not particular to smart cars. I can't remember ever owning a car that didn't exaggerate the speed.

If you speedo was reading low, you would be pissed at smart for your speeding tickets. They have a little cushion built in, just like everyone else.

I'm sure there are other benefits such as improved fuel economy ratings and safety records.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The Smart and a Hyundai are the only cars I have ever owned that had speedometer discrepancies. I've owned/lease probably 15 Ford cars and trucks, several Toyotas (including a Sequoia I have now) 3 Nissan Maximas, various others. According to my hand-held GPS, they have always been within 1-2 mph at 65mph. (Except for the lifted truck with 37 inch tires)

Very poor excuse for 10% inaccuracy.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Actually one can get the real speed confirmation in writing and delivered directly to you by a LEO.:D

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Look at it this way... Yur speedo says your cutt'n a rug out on the superslab and gives ya that macho feel'n... Yet it may save you from that dreaded expensive ticket... :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts