Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
7,971 Posts
Looks like a "reasonable" $15 gamble???

. . . but for less than $15 can it be any good?
Not sure what the locksmith or dealer would charge for connecting it to your cars receiver???

"The electronics and chip are a factory OEM part, the shell and blade is aftermarket but still a very good quality. Key has been re-flashed and brought back to "virgin" status."

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have one. Ordered one because my 09 only came with one key. Good deal ??? Every locksmith has said they could cut the key and some said the could "try" and program it, but None would Guarantee it would work because it wasn't bought from them.
I still only have one key. For me $150 to have a something cut, programed only for it to "maybe" work is more than I want to spend. Make sure you get a assurance from your locksmith, that it will work when he is done or a refund.
Good luck and please keep us updated.
JL

·
Registered
66 Posts
The problem is when they program a new key they have to deprogram all the old keys and then reprogram all the keys at the same time. Any keys left out from this new programming sequence won't work. I'd hate to see them get half way and not be able to finish.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
The Autel 906BT is one $$$$$ scan tool, over $1,000 bucks. Be a lot cheaper, having the new key, program at the dealership.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'll swap a gonna motor and transmission and completely rewire the smart before I ever so for in a dealership or in general trust a mechanic with anything than major body work.
The Autel 906BT is one $$$$$ scan tool, over $1,000 bucks. Be a lot cheaper, having the new key, program at the dealership.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
I'll swap a gonna motor and transmission and completely rewire the smart before I ever so for in a dealership or in general trust a mechanic with anything than major body work.
$14.00 key fob, a $1,000 scan tool to program it??? What bargain. Aristocrats MB/smart where Serviced, our smart for many years. Did excellent work on my 2008, $2,500 smart car. Now I use Christian Brothers Automotive. They performs work on all my vehicles.

The MB dealership charged me $150 to program new key fobs.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well DUH! I didn't buy the $1,000 scanner just to program this one key. I use it 2 or 3 times a week for other things on other cars. $150 to program keys, $120 to reset airbag and ABS lights, teach in the clutch, $75 to reset the steering angle sensor after replacing a tie rod, $50 to adapt TPMS sensors, etc. It paid for itself in 3 months.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Well DUH! I didn't buy the $1,000 scanner just to program this one key. I use it 2 or 3 times a week for other things on other cars. $150 to program keys, $120 to reset airbag and ABS lights, teach in the clutch, $75 to reset the steering angle sensor after replacing a tie rod, $50 to adapt TPMS sensors, etc. It paid for itself in 3 months.

I own 5 cars at the moment. Some 40 new one my life. Never had any of those issue, mentioned above. You must own a Automotive shop, to justify the price of that scanner. I have a $100 buck one. Used it twice in 10 years.

Steering angle you go to alignment shop. Steering angle what? That’s, a Mechanical adjustment. TPMS sensors on my cars reset themselves. If your using the proper sensors. The smart car, You push the button on the dash, to reset. The clutch doesn’t need re teaching. Why do you need to reset the airbag, or ABS sensors. Did you replace them.

Sorry The average person. Can’t fork out that kind of change.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But they spend that much and more for a set of rims or a sound system neither of which have any returns on the investment. I don't have an auto shop, just sell a couple dozen cars a year so use it regularly. I don't go to alignment shops, I align myself with a tape measure and get better results than a shop. Airbag and ABS lights are often on when I pick up another car. Could be from any number of causes, which the scan tools lets you find.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Can you do a write up on how you do your alignment. Don't get me wrong I can adjust it a bit but I don't think I can do it better than a shop. Perhaps you have a method that works better
But they spend that much and more for a set of rims or a sound system neither of which have any returns on the investment. I don't have an auto shop, just sell a couple dozen cars a year so use it regularly. I don't go to alignment shops, I align myself with a tape measure and get better results than a shop. Airbag and ABS lights are often on when I pick up another car. Could be from any number of causes, which the scan tools lets you find.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If the car goes straight when you take your hands off the wheel but the steering wheel is off center, I put the wheel in the center position and shorten one tie rod and lengthen the other. If the car pulls to one side, I measure from the front of the tire to a reference point on the frame that is equal on both sides as well measure between the front of both tires and the back of both tires. Then adjust tie rods accordingly. It may take 3 or 4 adjustment attempts between test drives but that's the way it is. Describing how to do it is harder than actually doing it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts