Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'll swap a gonna motor and transmission and completely rewire the smart before I ever so for in a dealership or in general trust a mechanic with anything than major body work.
The Autel 906BT is one $$$$$ scan tool, over $1,000 bucks. Be a lot cheaper, having the new key, program at the dealership.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Can you do a write up on how you do your alignment. Don't get me wrong I can adjust it a bit but I don't think I can do it better than a shop. Perhaps you have a method that works better
Sorry The average person. Can’t fork out that kind of change.
But they spend that much and more for a set of rims or a sound system neither of which have any returns on the investment. I don't have an auto shop, just sell a couple dozen cars a year so use it regularly. I don't go to alignment shops, I align myself with a tape measure and get better results than a shop. Airbag and ABS lights are often on when I pick up another car. Could be from any number of causes, which the scan tools lets you find.

·
Registered
409 Posts
TBH if I needed a key programmed right now, of rather pay the 1k, buy the scan tool and program it myself then pay somebody 150$ to do it for me. Even though I don't work on cars for a living. I just work on mine and I'm sure it would come in handy again. I just genuinely despise dealerships and 99% of mechanics. They are usually come that will do the work just good enough and I hate that.
Truly, MOST car/truck owners just like to get in their vehicles turn the key or push a button, put the vehicle in drive or reverse and drive away. No muss. No fuss, no maybe it will go into reverse, maybe not.
Yet they complain how expensive any minor thing costs. I'm sure this isn't the cheapest thing that will program a key, just the one that I have. If you have a clone Star tool for a few hundred bucks, that may work too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.