Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2015 Smart ED that has a 0% SOC and a message on the dash to "Visit HV Workshop" or something to that effect.

I have read several posts on this forum and others suggesting that the HV Battery can be revived by towing the vehicle and using the regenerative braking feature to charge the battery to a high enough point where the BCM will allow the HV battery to be charged conventionally. I don't recall, however, reading any post from someone who has either accomplished the feat or witnessed it.

Can a "bricked" ED be revived with regenerative braking or is it just an urban legend?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
As I understand a 0 state of charge Lithium battery is a fire hazard if not carefully (extremely slowly at first) recharged. That would be a myth I'm afraid, to regenerate it back to life.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I recently bought a 2015 Smart ED that has a 0% SOC and a message on the dash to "Visit HV Workshop" or something to that effect.

I have read several posts on this forum and others suggesting that the HV Battery can be revived by towing the vehicle and using the regenerative braking feature to charge the battery to a high enough point where the BCM will allow the HV battery to be charged conventionally. I don't recall, however, reading any post from someone who has either accomplished the feat or witnessed it.

Can a "bricked" ED be revived with regenerative braking or is it just an urban legend?
No. This "revive by towing the vehicle" is a ridiculous myth. In the event of an undervoltage condition due to excessive discharge, the internal contactor relays are open and the traction battery is not even connected to the inverter or anything else that could charge the battery. Once the relays are open in this condition, the only way to revive the battery is to remove the battery, open the case, and with a number of precautions, charge the individual cells. Various fatal trouble codes then have to be cleared that are difficult to clear. There is this shady Ukranian business that can help you with this - but it isn't cheap.

I hope that you did not pay too much for the car.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,096 Posts
I have a 2015 Smart Electric Drive that suffered a minor hit to the front and I've had a hard time identifying two parts that were damaged in the collision.
Welcome to SCoA.

Did this “minor hit” cause airbag deployment? HAS THE PYRO-FUSE BLOWN? And was the VIN # “tagged” by the insurance company as a total loss?

Unfortunately with the complexities of BMS & HV battery pack safety nannies, few are EV “qualified” to make this ED roadworthy again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. This "revive by towing the vehicle" is a ridiculous myth. In the event of an undervoltage condition due to excessive discharge, the internal contactor relays are open and the traction battery is not even connected to the inverter or anything else that could charge the battery. Once the relays are open in this condition, the only way to revive the battery is to remove the battery, open the case, and with a number of precautions, charge the individual cells. Various fatal trouble codes then have to be cleared that are difficult to clear. There is this shady Ukranian business that can help you with this - but it isn't cheap.

I hope that you did not pay too much for the car.
Thanks for the information. I'm not too surprised to hear that it's a myth because I could never find a post from someone who actually witnessed the recovery.

Concerning the car, it was relatively cheap and I bought it because I planned to use it as a parts car for my other 2015 Smart ED. Now that I have both EDs in the garage the one I bought thinking it would be a parts car may be the one I repair. Ideally I'd like to repair both of them because they're both pretty decent cars.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,096 Posts
So
Concerning the car, it was relatively cheap and I bought it because I planned to use it as a parts car for my other 2015 Smart ED. Now that I have both EDs in the garage the one I bought thinking it would be a parts car may be the one I repair. Ideally I'd like to repair both of them because they're both pretty decent cars.
So you have TWO dead ED’s in the garage with both showing “ZERO” SOC?

Oh my, at least one too many “sleds” - good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to SCoA.

Did this “minor hit” cause airbag deployment? HAS THE PYRO-FUSE BLOWN? And was the VIN # “tagged” by the insurance company as a total loss?

Unfortunately with the complexities of BMS & HV battery pack safety nannies, few are EV “qualified” to make this ED roadworthy again.
The post you quoted concerns a different vehicle - I now own two Smart EDs.

Concerning the vehicle you referenced, the "minor hit" did not cause an airbag deployment, the battery is fine and took a charge to 100% and the vehicle has a clear title with no record of any accident damage. The story that I heard is the Smart Car was likely damaged in transit and got squished between two cars - the damage was just extensive enough where it was easier for the auction/transport company to just sell the vehicle for a cheap price and not mess around with trying to get it fixed.

Concerning the vehicle I started this thread about, I bought it thinking I was going to use it as a parts car but hoping there might be an easy way to revive a "bricked" battery. In some ways I like the vehicle I bought as a parts car better than the one I intended to fix and might just rob the HV battery out of vehicle one and put it in vehicle two. Ideally, I'd like to get both back on the road.

Thanks for the welcome and the information you shared.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So

So you have TWO dead ED’s in the garage with both showing “ZERO” SOC?

Oh my, at least one too many “sleds” - good luck!
The good news is that I have one Smart ED with minor damage to the front end that has a battery that will take 100% SOC and another Smart ED that has a perfect body but a battery that's at 0% SOC. I'd love to save them both because they're both pretty decent cars but at a minimum I should be able to take the combined vehicles and make one road worthy Smart ED.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Switching batts is a bit of work but should work in the nicer car. An error code might linger on the dash until Dealer or MB Specialty Shop can remove for you. But this is from reports I've accumulated over time; your results may vary!
--

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Switching batts is a bit of work but should work in the nicer car. An error code might linger on the dash until Dealer or MB Specialty Shop can remove for you. But this is from reports I've accumulated over time; your results may vary!
--
If I recall correctly, I remember reading a thread where you had taken the HV battery out of your Smart and you were working to revive it. Am I correct, and if so, were you successful in reviving a "bricked" battery?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have read several posts on this forum and others suggesting that the HV Battery can be revived by towing the vehicle and using the regenerative braking feature to charge the battery to a high enough point where the BCM will allow the HV battery to be charged conventionally
When it's bricked, it can't be charged by pulling the smart and making it regenerate. That smart won't start the hv battery, meaning there is no electrical connection between the HV wirring harness and the battery.

Reactions: MB DNA

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When it's bricked, it can't be charged by pulling the smart and making it regenerate. That smart won't start the hv battery, meaning there is no electrical connection between the HV wirring harness and the battery.
Thanks for the confirmation - it's always nice to have several people chime in to kill off an inaccurate myth.

I have to admit there was part of me that really wanted to believe the myth - it would have made for a great story.

On a different note, I wanted to offer praise for the great blog you have concerning the bricked Smart ED battery - I learned a lot by reading that blog and now have a better idea why the myth that's the subject of this thread could never happen.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Great to hear you like it. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts