Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Now 09 451 Passion Cabriolet Met Blue & Silver First 08 451 Passion Cabriolet Yellow & Black
2,333 Posts
Ok- good to know. I mean, if it is like 5k, not a huge deal and may be worth it. If like 10k, nah.
European-spec vehicles must ship through a stateside certified independent commercial importer. A list is available from the EPA.

This, however, can be an expensive process because the vehicle must also conform to EPA and DOT safety requirements and would be subject to conversion to US specification at an EPA accredited Conversion Station. This process is not only costly$$$$ but could take 3-6 months to complete.
Good Luck

· Registered
Now 09 451 Passion Cabriolet Met Blue & Silver First 08 451 Passion Cabriolet Yellow & Black
2,333 Posts
The question remains, did they even make manual coupe in 2017 and if so, how many? I have literally seen one.
If you have literally seen one. Then you have answered the first part of your question. That would be yes. The second part is going to be harder.
Good luck

· Registered
2,333 Posts
Well- this all sounds too complicated and not worth it. I will just keep looking in the States. Thank you to all that replied.
Sounds like common sense to me.
If you were buying a $100,000.00+ car in Europe and wanted to bring it to the US.
Then dropping another $10,000 for the conversion is nothing. But for a smart :rolleyes:

· Registered
2,333 Posts
All high-end German cars (that would exclude smarts) that are also sold in the United States, including Mercedes, Porsche, and Audi, have a European Delivery Program, which is the easiest way to buy a Mercedes in Europe. Not only do you get to purchase the Mercedes at a discounted price, but you also get a free night's accomodation at a hotel near the factory in Germany, a Mercedes factory tour, free shipping to the United States, and 15 days of insurance allowing you to driver your new Mercedes around Europe. Its not just about buying a Mercedes--it's also a European vacation.

· Registered
2,333 Posts
My wife thought she could buy a Mercedes in Europe at a discount while we went on a trip there. Don’t get your hopes up they were more expensive there. AND the dealer said you’d have to ship it on our dime. About getting it to code, good luck I guess…. When I purchased my smart back in 2012 I had to sign a non-export promissory note. They were giving us an exceptional price back then….
Check it out it is still offered. I add more sites as I find them
Here is another: this is where I got my orig. Post from

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.