Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
I own one of the last UK 453 petrol Cabrio's made, a 1.0... 5 speed manual, and I am curious what is the extra safety, and differences you guys get on a USA spec'ed 453?

I can see from Smart leaflets that you get six airbags, and we just get four. Anything else?

If its down to compliance paperwork meeting USA standards, I can see the problem, but physically there should not be that much of a difference between a LHD European car and a USA car.

PS....I have seen the opposite situation, where I wanted a new Honda Civic Coupe MK1, only made in Ohio USA to Japanese quality control, and importing them via Honda USA to Honda Europe to the UK was held up for 6 months with meeting European compliance. It took me a year on the waiting list till I got the car. Worth the wait, It was so reliable, I had it for 10 years. My only American made car LOL :D

· Registered
183 Posts
...you get a European Delivery Program, which is the easiest way to buy a Mercedes in Europe. Not only do you get to purchase the Mercedes at a discounted price, get a free night's accomodation, a Mercedes factory tour, free shipping to the United States, and 15 days of insurance allowing you to driver your new Mercedes around Europe. Its not just about buying a Mercedes--it's also a European vacation.
Whereas if you buy a Smart, they take your money fast, and kick you out the door, and do not like you to return if anything goes wrong :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.