Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
Now 09 451 Passion Cabriolet Met Blue & Silver First 08 451 Passion Cabriolet Yellow & Black
2,333 Posts
Well- this all sounds too complicated and not worth it. I will just keep looking in the States. Thank you to all that replied.
Sounds like common sense to me.
If you were buying a $100,000.00+ car in Europe and wanted to bring it to the US.
Then dropping another $10,000 for the conversion is nothing. But for a smart :rolleyes:

· Registered
9,938 Posts
My Aunt and Uncle had dual citizenship. Some how they would bring there MB vehicle they owned here. Since they owned the car already. Not sure the procedure. Both them were pretty well to do. Even if they were licensed here.

· Registered
Now 09 451 Passion Cabriolet Met Blue & Silver First 08 451 Passion Cabriolet Yellow & Black
2,333 Posts
All high-end German cars (that would exclude smarts) that are also sold in the United States, including Mercedes, Porsche, and Audi, have a European Delivery Program, which is the easiest way to buy a Mercedes in Europe. Not only do you get to purchase the Mercedes at a discounted price, but you also get a free night's accomodation at a hotel near the factory in Germany, a Mercedes factory tour, free shipping to the United States, and 15 days of insurance allowing you to driver your new Mercedes around Europe. Its not just about buying a Mercedes--it's also a European vacation.

· Registered
3,438 Posts
My wife thought she could buy a Mercedes in Europe at a discount while we went on a trip there. Don’t get your hopes up they were more expensive there. AND the dealer said you’d have to ship it on our dime. About getting it to code, good luck I guess…. When I purchased my smart back in 2012 I had to sign a non-export promissory note. They were giving us an exceptional price back then….

· Registered
2,333 Posts
My wife thought she could buy a Mercedes in Europe at a discount while we went on a trip there. Don’t get your hopes up they were more expensive there. AND the dealer said you’d have to ship it on our dime. About getting it to code, good luck I guess…. When I purchased my smart back in 2012 I had to sign a non-export promissory note. They were giving us an exceptional price back then….
Check it out it is still offered. I add more sites as I find them
Here is another: this is where I got my orig. Post from

· Registered
183 Posts
...you get a European Delivery Program, which is the easiest way to buy a Mercedes in Europe. Not only do you get to purchase the Mercedes at a discounted price, get a free night's accomodation, a Mercedes factory tour, free shipping to the United States, and 15 days of insurance allowing you to driver your new Mercedes around Europe. Its not just about buying a Mercedes--it's also a European vacation.
Whereas if you buy a Smart, they take your money fast, and kick you out the door, and do not like you to return if anything goes wrong :D

· Registered
13 Posts
I am having great difficulty finding a 2017 453 manual with options in America. I was wondering if anyone ever bought overseas and imported and if so, what was the process and cost? Did modifications need to be made for emissions?
I am planning to sell my 2016 manual fortwo passion without options this fall or winter.
Let me know if you are interested in.

· Registered
54 Posts
I am having great difficulty finding a 2017 453 manual with options in America. I was wondering if anyone ever bought overseas and imported and if so, what was the process and cost? Did modifications need to be made for emissions?
I really wanted a manual transmission as well but could only find one very basic 2016 model with a little more mileage than I wanted. I decided to go with the automatic thinking it would be kind of like a manual with the paddle shifting but I’ve never used them! I heard you can shift with the floor gears but I’ve never figured that out.

· Registered
98 Posts
I have a 2017 Brabus I ordered from MB seattle in 2017. When I was there at dealership I drove a manual 2017. The Brabus shifted so much better I went with that.
want to buy a Brabus ? One of 200 imported

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.