Smart Car of America Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm finding plenty of info on importing from Europe to USA but what about shipping my 2016 smart to Spain? Debating if it is worth it but I'm starting the search on homologation and if I would have to convert it, how much would it be? Anyone know? I do love my car but there is a limit..... There might be one for sale soon. LOL

· Registered
3,449 Posts
Not sure of the accuracy, but here's a guide:

(EDIT- This site gives an estimate! Importing Cars from the USA to Spain 2021 Guide: Starting at $1,395 )

I know for European delivery I believe they require a red road side warning triangle, first aid kit, and rear fog light. Possible adjustment/replacement of headlight to symmetric low beams.

Can ask at candlepowerforums.com Transportation Automotive subsection regarding lighting requirements the moderators are very knowledgeable....

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

· Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
655 Posts
Have you searched on the price of a used smart car in Spain? I've had a couple of friends buy used cars in Europe, drive them for 6 months, and sell them before moving back to the U.S. Once you exclude all the taxes and registrations that you would have to pay anyway to bring in a car, they never lost much $ in the deal.

Lo mejor de las suertes.

· Registered
291 Posts
If you can mend them they are very cheap in Europe. That is because people do not understand them.

Of the four I have had one had a blown engine (oil pump failure), one was a gearbox fault and two just needed clutch actuators.

I bought a 2009 in 2016 and paid £500 for it and I bought a 2012 a couple of months ago for £900. Both were repaired in under twenty minutes with a clutch actuator.

· Registered
763 Posts
I heard of a guy that went to Canada to get the diesel for a 451. Kept the gasser and sold it in US. Mechanics took a week to swap over. 35mpg gas 80mpg diesel? Also had to dump 453 with 5spd. Wife can't drive manual.(no she can't learn, health issues not millennial theft device)

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.