Smart Car of America Forum banner

Has anyone ever had to replace their radiator fan?

15K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  jimvw57 
#1 ·
My radiator fan makes a horrible noise when coming on and doesn't cool the vehicle.

My car is overheating in traffic and I am having to run the heater on full blast with the top down and windows down to cool the car in traffic. :|

Does anyone know how much a stock fan is, the difficulty in replacing it yourself, and possibly a better- upgraded radiator fan (maybe twin fans?) I want my smart car running cool in our extremely hot SoCal summers! :D

Please don't refer me to evilutions page for any instructions, his pay wall is ridiculous. I will not pay for information I deem should be public knowledge, and free of charge.

Thanks,

RCR.

#2 ·
One of our illustrious members had a fan malfunction and simply installed a universal single fan obtained from a local auto parts store in front of his radiator and ac condenser. Solved his problem, and been running that way since. He indicated that adding the replacement fan in front was much easier to do than dismantling the whole front end of the car to replace the original fan and its' broken mount.

#4 ·
well first off, Evilution has spent a LOT of time and energy collecting all that information, and it does cost to publish a website on the net.

Next, I am that illustrious member that mounted the universal fan on the front after the stock one had a broken mount. When I turned on the AC, I heard this terrible noise and using a camera on a flexible pipe, I found a cracked fan mount.

To replace the fan/mount involves removal of the front end, including the radiator, condenser, core support, bumper, etc.Then once it is installed, new coolant, and refrigerant. Not a job for the shade tree mechanic.

Instead, I went with a universal fan. I measured how much room I had and picked a size to fill it. I used a single fan but a dual fan may give you more flow. I left the old fan in place and mounted in front of the radiator/condenser and wired it to push air. I used the stock fan wiring and made my own mounts to attach the fan to the core (plastic that holds the front end on) After about a year of use, I have not had a single overheat problem, and it is as quiet as can be.

I used a slim profile fan, I believe it was a 16 inch one similar to this but as a Pusher Fan.

Hayden Rapid-Cool 3700 - Electric Fan Motor Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pictures on the other thread

#5 ·
Thank you all for your replies. As adventurous as I am, I don't really enjoy tearing apart my Smart Car, I save that energy for my Triumph Motorcyle. I'll be biting the bullet and paying to have the stock fan replaced.

I think it broke a few years back when I was driving way too fast on a washboard dirt road.

Thank you all for explaining how difficult, replacing the stock fan is.

$500 labor + a stock fan = less stress on my mind this coming summer.

#9 ·
Update, car is at SmartMadness and have been quoted $730 parts and labor for a new radiator fan.

They could not get the fan to turn on at all even when heating the car to 230 degrees, but they did ensure that the relay and switch are receiving power.

While they are under the hood they will be checking for a leak in the windshield washer system as well, either the reservoir is cracked or the pump is leaking. Not sure which.

I'm just happy I don't have to tear apart the entire front end of the vehicle. :laugh:

#11 ·
The fan I purchased was reversible. Could be used as a pusher or a puller fan. Just had to wire it the right way. It does need to have the fan blades that work in either direction.

I did remove the front clip. not as hard as it sounds. I can remove it in about 15-20 min. and I used the wiring from the stock fan to run the new fan. Only hard part was making up a suitable mounting bracket to hold the fan in place.

There are videos on removing the front clip as well as detailed instructions here and on Evilution site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys-vEPWEIO8

video for putting in headlights but front clip removal is the same

#12 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm going through the same trouble and even though Jimvw57 has a tempting economical idea with the front universal fan I'm leaning toward replacing the stock fan, it looks like a big scary project but once I get to it, it becomes easier (just a few T bolts and elbow grease).
I'm trying to contact a member of this forum that has the instructions in PDF for this job, but I'm new to this forum and the rules don't allow me to send messages. This person is GreyMatte451.
If GreyMatte451 or anybody else can help me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all very much in advance.

#13 ·
I'm currently in the same situation with either the fan bearing or mount being messed up and alot of noise being produced without cooling the vehicle. I've got the fan, since you had mentioned there was spare room I went with the 14', but I am not sure what mounting brackets were used for the job. Obviously not the cheap plastic pull throughs that came with the fan, but I don't even know where to start in looking for an appropriate bracket.

#15 ·
see the other post, I used some scrap pieces of aluminum left over from mounting rain gutters on the house. it was easy to bend and drill holes. I screwed it to the cross frame on the smart that holds the radiator in place (kind of a fiberglass material) You do want to mount it as close as possible to the radiator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.