Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the very nature of a forum is to express problems and solutions to same, and I sometimes think this may skew the opinions of newbies when they look through the threads. No problem-the forum is about problems and solutions, in a way.
But, actually the vast majority of us I suspect have had fewer problems with our smarts than the rest of the automotive population.
I have two and they both run with out problems (jinxed myself, I know).
The heightened awareness engendered through this forum, makes one more cognizant of potential problems that so often never occur.
I maintenance mine regularly, watch my engine variables (ultraguage) and buy god, just drive 'em. I've had many cars like many others on here, and I actually have more confidence in my smarts to get me where I'm going than any car I've ever owned.
"Well, they're nice but, those little engines will burn up if you run 'em out on the highway."
Riiiiight. And if you are passed by a tractor trailer, it will suck all the wind out of your smart and you'll suffocate.:D

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I'm in complete agreement. Going on six years, over 71K on the clock. So far, only minor problems. I've never before owned such a problem free car in 40+ years of driving!

But, as you said ... this is where we come to both praise and seek help with problems when they inevitably occur, however minor.

My smart experience has made me more of a 'car guy' than I've ever been before. But, that's a pretty low bar ... since I haven't been a car guy previously.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I have to agree, over 156K on my smart and it's been virtually trouble free. Only real issue has been the blower motor, but I'll soon fix that permanently. I've got the VDO upgrade motor, just need to find time to install it.

It's still fun, and I still rely on it as my daily driver. It's been parked the last couple of weeks, but that's because I just finished my year long restoration on my truck, and I've been enjoying it.:D

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Going on 6 year. Not just highway miles like some. Real time city and highway. Engine mounts replaced, sun shade, 2 blower motors, numerous head and tail lamps, clutch actuator, seat belt sensor, defective OEM front alloy wheel. Thanks smart madness for the replacement. Going on 80k miles now.

7 year old Honda Fit zero issue. 3 year old Fiat 500, dead battery, evap canister replaced. Early production car.

·
17,349 Posts
Two years, 45,000 miles on the clock. I would say Tucker's been pretty reliable. :D

The car's spent considerable amount of time at multiple dealerships, though mostly because most of the dealers my car has been to are completely incompetent. Here's a pretty complete list:

1. Poor performance in cold weather.

- Dealer visits - 2 (Plus several contacts to Smart USA, none of which made a difference)

- Solution - Dealer #2 performed full cooling system test (something Dealer #1 refused to do) and found nothing wrong. I came to the conclusion it was the motor mount and changed it.

2. Engine knocking noise.

- Dealer visits - 1

- Solution - Dealer seemed to think it was a bad spark plug and replaced it. The problem disappeared once I filled the tank for the first time. I bet it was just old petrol from the car sitting on the showroom floor for over 6 months.

3. Side skirt torn off.

- Dealer visits - 2

- Solution - Though the dealer wanted to blame the car wash, they replaced it anyway. Buuut, the first time they replaced it, they didn't put it on right, and it fell off.

4. Alignment.

- Dealer visits - 3+

- Solution - Unresolved. The dealers performed alignments twice under warranty, and both times they got it wrong. They refused to fix it subsequent times, saying there was nothing wrong (because a largely off centre steering wheel is nothing wrong).

5. Grinding noise coming from rear.

- Dealer visits - 1

- Solution - Unresolved. Every Winter something around my right rear wheel makes a loud grinding noise. Dealer said no noise exists.

6. Random rattles and loose doors.

- Dealer visits - 0

- Solution - Had the dealer tighten some things up during my 10k service. The door latches were adjusted from the factory in a way that allowed my doors to bounce in and out on bumps.

Total dealer visits for warranty issues: 8
(sometimes I had more than one problem taken care of during a visit)

Shame, that number would be much lower if the dealers just did it right the first time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
None of the cars I have owned needed extensive repairs during the time I owned them. Just the typical dead battery, alternator, etc. I have kept each car at least 80,000 before replacing.

I had an early issue with my smart fortwo when the car got stuck in park. It seems that was a common problem for many smart owners. I had to have the car towed. I had the blower motor die on a very humid day when I needed something to keep the windows from becoming fogged. I recently had my most expensive repair for any car when I had the cylinder heads machined because the engine pressure was low. My smart reached 98,000 miles over the weekend and I will be looking for something new by summer... not sure it will be another smart.

·
Registered
763 Posts
When I've responded to prospective owners, I've typically warned them that the discussions of problems are highly concentrated because, if 98% of people have no problems, they don't start a thread on "no problems." This one of the few places where you can have a productive discussion of problems or concerns.

·
Registered
912 Posts
When I've responded to prospective owners, I've typically warned them that the discussions of problems are highly concentrated because, if 98% of people have no problems, they don't start a thread on "no problems." This one of the few places where you can have a productive discussion of problems or concerns.
^ This. And that's how it works on every automotive discussion board on the internet. Every single one.

People who have problems ask about them and complain about them. People who don't, have no reason to.

The internet discussion boards can give an idea of the sort of things that go wrong with any particular vehicle (and perhaps a few ways to prevent it) but they do not give an accurate indication of how often they go wrong.

This discussion forum has prompted me to do some preventive measures (the coolant hoses too close to the subframe on the early '08 models, taking the cover off the clutch actuator and lubing it up inside, keeping a close eye on the coolant level) and it has helped with one cheap fix (the blower motor ...).

But mostly ... it has been really expensive, because without these forums, I wouldn't have found out about using four rear wheels as fronts, I wouldn't have found out about where to buy aftermarket bits which led me to buying a complete Bilstein suspension kit, and I probably wouldn't have gone from a busted flex pipe to a complete Solo Performance exhaust system.

Know what ... I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts