Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I'll figger this car out
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
In looking at the battery placement, and in anticipation of letting the car sit for about a month while I work on the exhaust and brakes, I want to install two cables to make charging easier, without requiring tear-up of the floor every time I do this.

Has anyone done this? Has anyone evaluated low-amp battery tenders for use with the smarts? I have a 2009 451 and am getting another one.

Thanks!

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,240 Posts
I use Del Tran Battery Tenders on all my cars. On the smart, you car run the hard wired cables through a grommet under the dash on the passenger side and feed them through the grill. Easy set up and you won't have to go under the carpet until it's time to replace the battery.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I put a Battery Tender connector, with the ring terminals, in the floor of my Smart.
I cut the ring into a "C" with a Dremel.

I used a 800 milliamp Tender to keep the battery up.
Because the safety timer shuts it off at 80 hours, I used a light timer to turn it off for an hour once a day...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I put a Battery Tender connector, with the ring terminals, in the floor of my Smart.
I cut the ring into a "C" with a Dremel.

I used a 800 milliamp Tender to keep the battery up.
Because the safety timer shuts it off at 80 hours, I used a light timer to turn it off for an hour once a day...
Please explain the 80 hour safety timer. Why would it shut off if one of the main uses of a battery tender is to maintain the battery for long periods of time - like months of no use?

·
Registered
98 Posts
we tow our smart, so have a battery disconnect switch that sounds like what you want. two cables made up, switch mounted under the dash on passenger side, cables routed from battery negative to switch and then back to the batrery. easy peezy.

·
I'll figger this car out
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we tow our smart, so have a battery disconnect switch that sounds like what you want. two cables made up, switch mounted under the dash on passenger side, cables routed from battery negative to switch and then back to the batrery. easy peezy.
Thanks for the answer. So you disconnect the smart battery before you ,tow? and you use the same set-up for connecting a charger as needed? Or do you run a low-amperage charger from the motor home to the smart? Or.. all three?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the answer. So you disconnect the smart battery before you ,tow? and you use the same set-up for connecting a charger as needed? Or do you run a low-amperage charger from the motor home to the smart? Or.. all three?
actually we just use the battery disconnect switch for towing, and then if the car will sit for long periods we just use the disconnect switch so there are no parasitic draws on the battery. no trickle charger.

·
I'll figger this car out
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually we just use the battery disconnect switch for towing, and then if the car will sit for long periods we just use the disconnect switch so there are no parasitic draws on the battery. no trickle charger.
Thanks for the clarification!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts