Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Don't know about the eBay key, but I got a new key in Omaha, NE. Smart Mercedes for $150.00. Had to take car to dealer so they could match old key and new key to the Smart. Don't think eBay key will work with out being matched to your car. Good luck..
P.S. Checked eBay add and you have to take your key and car to dealer to have it cut and programmed. Check other Smart dealers for better price on key. Again good luck and enjoy your car.

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
The 2 issues with keys are:
1) immobilizer-needs to be set up for the car/computer
2) remote buttons- also needs to be set up for car/computer

I have heard good things about SOS Diagnostics. They may be able to save you some cash.

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Not so easy to lock the keys in the car. You can't lock the door when it is open. the only way I figured to do it would be to lock it in the back compartment.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I had a leftover key from the written off green diesel recoded to my all white BRABUS Canada 1 diesel and it was no problem at all. The Victoria BC dealer did it.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
My 2008 was a repo. The car went from auction house to auction house and finally ended up at a VW dealer, still only a few months old. The VW dealer had MB Houston North re-key the ignition and got ONE key for the car. When I bought the car, I went to MB Sugar Land and ordered another key, which cost over $300.
BUT... They didn't re-key the door! So I have no key to the door of my smart! If either the key battery or the car battery dies, I'm skrewed!!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Not so easy to lock the keys in the car. You can't lock the door when it is open. the only way I figured to do it would be to lock it in the back compartment.
Yeah, and when it's running, and you have the doors locked, open the hatch and accidentally leave the 2nd key in the back, you have just locked both keys in! I still have not had the little back glass tinted after having to break it out to get into the car! The story is actually a little more complex than this, but I'd prefer to keep it simple! Side note: The tiny window behind the regular side window is VERY VERY EXPENSIVE to replace.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I only received one key for my used 2011 Passion. The MB dealer said a new key was $300 :eek:.

I saw this on eBay for much less than the dealer price. Has anyone bought an after-market key? Do they work? How much do you think it would cost to have it programmed?

New Smart Car Fortwo Remote Head Key Keyless Fob Transmitter Uncut Mercedes | eBay

Thanks y'all for any help.
This is actually kinda cool if it works, because I have an extra key blade. Another long story, when I ordered a replacement key, the fob got lost somewhere between Germany and Houston, but the blade arrived. They re-ordered the whole thing, so as I said, I have an extra blade!

·
Registered
220 Posts
It may be pequliar to only my car, but In the last 5 years I have had at least three instances where I left the key in the ignition overnight and found it had locked me out. I realize that leaving the key in the ignition overnight is not a good idea...even in a locked garage...but it happens sometimes. (to me, at least) Better to bite the bullet and get a second one. If you loose your one-and-only it will cost you dearly!

·
Registered
787 Posts
This is actually kinda cool if it works, because I have an extra key blade. Another long story, when I ordered a replacement key, the fob got lost somewhere between Germany and Houston, but the blade arrived. They re-ordered the whole thing, so as I said, I have an extra blade!
When I ordered a spare key I found out that the blank arrives as a set of 2 blanks. I now have 2 working keys and an extra blank. linky

·
Registered
787 Posts
You can't lock the door when it is open.
I can. It requires the use of a battery disconnect switch.

With door open when you press the lock button on the FOB the doors will lock, then within about 1.5 seconds will unlock. It is a safety feature to help prevent locking the key in the car.

Repeat the above procedure except before the car unlocks the doors disconnect the battery via the switch. The driver's door will now be locked. You can now safely lock the keys in the car.

BTW, since you disconnected the battery you will need a key or a key blank to manually unlock the driver door to reenter the car. The FOB won't work when the battery is disconnected. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts