Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 60k service today and noted that the valve check had not been done. I asked about it and the service advisor and manager were both surprised to see it listed on the smart web site since it was not listed on the one they access for their service checklists. They did the check for me anyway but couldn't explain the discrepancy. Anyone know what's up?
PS the valve clearances were fine.

·
17,360 Posts
I bet it was never in their service checklist to begin with. :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Had my 60k service today and noted that the valve check had not been done. I asked about it and the service advisor and manager were both surprised to see it listed on the smart web site since it was not listed on the one they access for their service checklists. They did the check for me anyway but couldn't explain the discrepancy. Anyone know what's up?
Wait, so they ran your smart around back (giving you time for one more latte) and did a "quickie" valve check and returned it - how soon?

Thought because of limited accessibility this check was somewhat involved, was there an additional charge for the valve check?

Inquiring minds want to know as smart owners have learned to question many things done (or not done) by a smart Center. Sad but true . . .

·
17,360 Posts
Last I checked, the valve check most definitely involves dropping the rear sub-frame. An expensive and time consuming job...

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
They actually took it into the shop. The waiting area has huge windows overlooking the shop so you can actually see them working on the cars. They actually did something that took the better part of an hour although I couldn't see "up close" what they actually did.
This is smart center Englewood and I actually like the people and believe pretty much all of what they say.
As far as I know they didn't charge me. They were very apologetic that the car wasn't actually ready and offered me a loaner if I couldn't wait. Actually they even offered a loaner and to deliver my car and pick up the loaner. (I had already signed the cc slip for the 60k service and for new front brakes, a new motor mount and rear axle boots. I suppose they could send me a bill, I'll let you know if they do.)

BTW, the last time they gave me loaner, it was some huge mercedes sedan.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
60,000 mi. or 96,000 km. Service Interval - Normal Service

Inspect Automatic Transmission/Transaxle Visually check for damage or leaks Axle Shaft Assembly Check play of axle joints, check rubber boots for damage Battery Check battery fluid level, correct if necessary Body and Frame Check bodywork for paintwork damage. Check vehicle underside for damage and corrosion by means of visual inspection. Brake Pad Visually check brake pads for lining thickness. Brake Rotor/Disc Visually check front brake disks for condition. Brake Shoe If the lining thickness is getting close to the brake lining wear limit, then the exact lining thickness should be established with the brake drum removed. Check brake lining thickness through inspection holes Brakes and Traction Control Brake lines and brake system: visually check for fixing, damages and leaks. Check brake system for proper function Convertible Top (Cabrio only) Check soft top "open" valve for function Coolant Check coolant. Check fill level and antifreeze protection and correct if necessary. Drive Belt (Poly V-belt) Check for wear and damage Engine Visually check for damage or leaks Exhaust System Visually inspect hangers and exhaust components for damage and leaks Heated Glass Element Check for proper operation and function Heating and Air Conditioning Check controls of heater and ventilation for proper operation and ease of movement. Lighting and Horns Check horn, exterior & interior illumination, headlamps & headlamp flashers, hazard & turn signal flashers, instrument displays, switch & cigaretta lighter illumination and headlamp range adjustment for proper operation. Manual Transmission/Transaxle Visually check for damage or leaks Mirrors Check for proper operation and function Seat Belt Check seat belts and buckles for signs of external damage and proper function. Seat Temperature Element Check for proper operation and function Steering Check tie rod joints and drag link joints for play, check rubber boots for damage Steering Gear Visually check for damage or leaks Suspension Check all rubber mounts at the front and rear axles for damage Tire Inflator Bottle Check TIREFIT tire sealant expiration date (where applicable) Tires Check tires visually for damage, crack formation and measure tread depth. Correct tire inflation pressure (incl. spare if equipped).

Valve Clearance Check valve clearance, set if necessary

Washer Fluid Windows Check for proper operation and function Wiper and Washer Systems Check windshield wiper/washer system & rear window wiper/washer system for proper operation and spray pattern. Check headlamp cleaning system. Inspect/Adjust Brake Drum Remove brake drums and check adjusting mechanism of drum brake for damage and well as boot of wheel brake cylinder for leaks. Fog/Driving Lamp Check front fog lamp adjustment, correct if necessary Headlamp Check headlamp adjustment, correct if necessary Parking Brake System Check free travel of hand brake, adjust if necessary Lubricate Door Locks Lubricate locks and check central locking for proper operation Doors Lubricate door hinges and stops Replace Air Filter Element Brake Fluid Cabin Air Filter / Purifier Drive Belt (Ribbed belt) Engine Oil Key Replace battery in vehicle key. Oil Filter, Engine Spark Plug Reset Service Reminder Indicators

The above is taken from the oem service information, so it would seem they either missed it or thought you would.

·
Registered
109 Posts
At 60K I asked two dealers and a private Smart mechanic/ None of the three recommended doing the valve check. All three said the only valve problems they had seen were buildup from using the wrong gas. Maybe requirements have changed?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts