Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Passion and I can't get the hatch Window to "pop" open. I am aware that I should be lubricating the hinges..(I posted once that the popping sound was getting weaker..but..I let it go) Now I can't open the back hatch window :( I live 450 miles away from the nearest dealer. Can I fix this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2008 Passion and I can't get the hatch Window to "pop" open. I am aware that I should be lubricating the hinges..(I posted once that the popping sound was getting weaker..but..I let it go) Now I can't open the back hatch window I live 450 miles away from the nearest dealer. Can I fix this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to being a member of Evilution I got some help. "If the rear switch is faulty, you can still open it by holding the trunk open button on the key. If that doesn't work, it could be a faulty trunk solenoid or the catch mechanism is seized". I ended up having to manually open the trunk: Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia. At that point I could access the catch to either spray the catch with penetration oil or remove the hatch panel to check the connections to the solenoid. I had to get instructions for doing a "Boot Panel Removal" and a "Boot Switch Change". At this point I had to go to my local mechanic (dealer too far away). Turns out the switch was OK (Part A-451-906-44-00) it was the "Actuator" (Part A-451-906-44-00) that needed to be replaced (I'm guessing the catch mechanism was seized). This is all very do-able without taking it to a dealer..I'm just not mechanically savvy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts