Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had this car for two years and it was great. Put approx 2,000 miles on it in two years. Bought it used for 7 thousand. Then big mistake, left key in car 2 days b4 I discovered that I had. Charge was gone and tried to re charge it. No luck. Had it towed to Mercedes and was told it needed a new battery for $27,000. Crazy, car only sold in 2014 for $30,000 new. I had it towed to someone in Arcadia,California and they told me yes, it needed a new battery. Now I just need to figure out how to deal with this, not much interest in electric car needing battery. Read in this forum about battery warranty but Mercedes tells me no. Even talked with Mercedes USA. Would anyone out there have any suggestions on what to do with car? I'm in Southern California. Any suggestions?:(

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I'm here in Arcadia. Is the car still here in this city? There are people that have figured out how to revive them somehow. I have a Foxwell Scanner not sure it would be able to clear everything...

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
29,454 Posts
This may (or may not) be helpful in your situation: smart battery warranty better than they told you

"In exchange, under the law, they [smart USA] agreed to provide either a 10 year/150K warranty on their/your battery, if the car was sold in or obtained from California, or in another State that has adopted California's standards, or an 8-10 year/100K mile warranty if the car was sold in a State limited to Federal standards !"

I can't vouch for the accuracy of that claim but it may be worth getting a lawyer to contact MB-USA on your behalf. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm here in Arcadia. Is the car still here in this city? There are people that have figured out how to revive them somehow. I have a Foxwell Scanner not sure it would be able to clear everything...

Yes, I'm here in Sierra Madre canyon and car is right out front. If you could come by and see if what you have might work. I would be happy to pay you to come by. I am home all the time. Let me know if a day or time works for you

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
@jwight I know from experience MB is very good at finding a way to excuse themselves from being responsible sadly.

I have a BCI Group 51 battery from a Scion iQ handy (I'll pull it).

Can anyone please verify if it's close enough to get the + and - on it and see if we can save this car? Thanks.

Gotta pick up a cake for my mother's B-Day and my son at around 4 today. I'll see what I can find about the 12 V compatibility and pull it, then send you a Private Message....

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
@Debra Walker I tried to private message you but I have a feeling it won't go through until you have 10 posts. Sadly I don't think the 51 size battery will fit because the poles are on the opposite side. I have a 24F but it may be too big. Anyways I packed up my jump starter, have the 24F battery as it is just sitting inside the house, my scan tool, and battery charger ready. I'll also bring my J1772 charger from our Honda Clarity just in case something may be wrong with yours. (It's in the car anyways).

I don't think I'm doing anything tomorrow. Right now I usually just go to my son's school and just sit while I get a free charge while I wait for my son to finish up...

BTW-. I'm not worried about getting any pay right now just maybe for parts needed...

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
@jzchen. That is very kind of you! Good luck in saving another smart.
Thanks.

I just spoke to her and I will head over tomorrow morning. Seems like it's been not working for a while. (12 V has been replaced). I hope my Foxwell tool will be able to reset the errors and possibly charge the HV battery. (I may have to revive the cells/modules). This is real close to home so good for me. I am basically a chauffeur to my CSULA sophomore right now so I have some good free time thankfully....

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Uh, I'm here and have been charging the 12 V as it was low but not dead.

It's a hidden area and signal is poor. I'm holding my phone down on the passenger seat to get a signal and access to the forum.

Unfortunately looks like the battery is dead. On top of that I do not think my Foxwell NT510 Elite is really "elite" for this car. I don't think it is clearing any of the many codes and possibly is reading superfluous codes.

Not sure where to go from here as I wait for the 12V to fully charge.

I have with me an Autel MaxiTPMS ITS600 but it does not have the "PRO" upgrade. From what I can tell approx $125 to try. Since there is poor signal here I don't think I can upgrade it here/on the fly.

I have a VXDiag MultiDiag unit at home. It does not have MB/Smart so I would need to order a HDD $119 or SSD $3xx from China and pay for MB License $199. Then I would need to wait for it to arrive AND hope I can get it to work.

Heard a click was supposed to wait 300s and try the Foxwell again....

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Left for lunch and then came home for a while. Charger was taking a long time to charge the 12V. I paid the Autel gods for the diagnostic function. Well, I believe it cleared 6 of 8 DTCs in both charger types. Then I plugged in the HV charger hoping for a miracle that it would start charging the HV battery. Nothing....

My charger reached 99% pulled the neg connection so at least it wouldn't kill that also and put the end in a zip lock so it wouldn't intermittently close the circuit. Packed up all my stuff (Autel tool extension cord and charger), said my apologies, good bye, and left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts