Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey y'all, I stopped in to the Indy Smart Center last month (busted ankle and all) to visit Walter and say hi to everyone at the Smart Center. I visited with him briefly, bought a tshirt for the wife (with a little 451 embroidered on it), commented on the new 2013s in the showroom (didn't care for the oddly "pimped" one, but the brabus was pretty cool) and limped back to the car and drove home. There really was no indication of anything wrong, so I was very surprised to hear that Walter wasn't there anymore just a matter of days later. I mentioned to him that day that several people had "fallen in love" with our 450, but that we had recommended a trip to Indy to anyone (in chicago and indiana) interested in buying a smart because the dealership, president and general manager were great, and truly supported the brand, their customers, and the cars they sold.

I can only hope that the lousy economy, poor decisions related to Smart's US models, and Smart's terrible marketing (or general lack thereof) didn't affect Walter's position at Indy Smart Center. I hope we are able to stay in touch with him too, because he wasn't just the contact at Indy Smart Center that kept all of us connected to the Smart Brand, and the new Smart product, but he was a good friend. While I wish there was alot more support for 450 owners in the US, I felt like I could call Walter if I needed info or direction. Now, it seems we have a source for neither. Let's hope that something very positive ultimately comes out of all of this...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I gave everybody a heads up about Walter leaving scI here; http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f89/mixed-news-indiana-46157/

I promised Walter I wasn't going to go into any detail publicly on what happened. I will clarify a few things though. His leaving scI had nothing to do with DVI, marketing, or anything any customer has done. In fact, Walter told me on the day he left that he had just finished a record sales month. He was competing with Madison, WI for best sales for the year.

His reasons for leaving were all based on issues between himself and the owners of scI. Things had gone from bad to worse, and he just couldn't force himself to deal with it anymore. He quit, scI did not let him go, as they have implied to a few people.

I talked with Walter on Monday, and he is doing great, sleeping better than he has in months, and is work on starting a business of his own. He even sounds better.

If anybody wants the full details, they can call him. I have Walters cell #, and he has given me permission to give it out. If you want to talk to him, PM me and I will send you his number, I'm not going to publicize his number for all to see.

On a related note, if anyone from Smarties of Indiana has Walter's scI e-mail address, please delete it before sending out any e-mails. Apparently the owners are watching it, and somebody has responded and it has caused some issues. I was informed that they are currently blocking any e-mails from me. Oh well, if they want to burn that bridge, so be it....

They have hired a new brand manager, Walter knows him. I guess he has worked in the smart center before(I can't remember his name right now, sucks getting old).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi:)

I would just like to clarify one thing. Unfortunately I never had the pleasure of meeting Walter and I assure you he has know idea who I am. In fact I was new to the car industry.

About that bridge, lets rebuild it fortwo lanes...

I look forward to meeting you and all smarties of Indiana!

CHEERS:)

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
I would just like to clarify one of many things in here.
And a big ZOMBIE THREAD?? to you? Don't think anything was clarified by this post?

Not sure how you fit in this 9-08-2012 Walter puzzle but best I can tell you remain "new to the car industry" and SCoA too?

Welcome I think? :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts