Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1)How many miles did you have when you replaced your clutch?
2)How much did it cost?
:smartlogo::smartlogo:

*Merry post-Christmas

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Yep, Diagnosed over the phone. It pays to have a relationship with your service tech, and not have to deal with a service writer (sales) between you and the tech.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, Diagnosed over the phone. It pays to have a relationship with your service tech, and not have to deal with a service writer (sales) between you and the tech.
What questions is he gonna ask you? And I hear you , it's a good idea to be comfortable with your service tech.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh wait, i had that happen to me too. I was on the highway and it wouldn't go any faster than 65 despite my foot to the floor.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
They then really need to do a service bulletin out on the issue. I wonder if thats been addressed, by Smart. Everyone thinks its the clutch.

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
...the failed to accelerate was coming out of a turn from a residential area...in second gear and moving @ 5-7 mph...
...smark...I truly believe that at those miles/time it should be covered...they (smart) know that there's a problem with the units....what if you try to merge into traffic and it fails to go and you become another statistic...God forbid...there was an issue like that in some other car manufacturer and that model car was recalled after a few lawyers visits...

jetfuel...checking the interwebs.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I've got 18,000 on my car. Only once, it didn't want to go into reverse last summer. After a long hot highway drive. Maybe it should be listed on the NSTB, as a major defect. Anyone can post consumer issue there. Better then getting hit in the rear end.:eek:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wait a tic; On one hand; the inferior clutch is only covered for 12mo/12kmiles. OTOH; there's that one guy who got his clutch replaced for free after 64k miles. So which one is it?

·
Registered
156 Posts
7500 miles (ok, I'm retired) - clutch plate and gear shift being replaced under warranty. I had the same issue of it slipping when going between 3rd and 2nd - yep around the corner and on straigt driving. Then it showed up in not being able to find reverse, and then 2nd to 1st. I was told it was the 4th upgrade on the clutch parts....sounds like an inherent first year model "discovery" issue.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
I'm concerned. Build date 6/2008, I've got about 18.5K on the odometer. No signs of this problem as of yet. Is it inevitable with cars manufactured in this time period?

Will the damn thing hang in there until the DAY AFTER my warranty expires? Argggg!

If this is a known issue, shouldn't smart be proactive on this?+

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
NCC1701 - I doubt that failure is inevitable, instead this issue affects a small (but very noticeable) portion of all vehicles. Those that fail have typically the same failure mode but it's not so high a percentage that a recall's the way to go.

At least that's how I see it.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I'd check in with the dealer and ask them to take a look at it. They may know what models/production numbers are affected. If it isn't acting up. don't worry about it.

If it aint broke....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my Brabus new about ten months ago. My clutch starting acting up at about 19K. It did it again around 21K so I called the dealer to find out what the problem might be. I travel and the only Smart Dealer in Georgia was a few hundred miles away. The tech at the dealership told me it was just a software issue and I did not need to worry. He then told me to bring it in the next time I was near the dealership and they would "upgrade" the software for me. I finally got back up there today and after waiting over four hours the tech informed me that it was not a software issue, but the clutch had gone bad and needed to be replaced. He then informed me that because my car had just gone over 24K the repair would not be covered. I would have tried to get the car to them if the service tech had made any effort to let me know it might have been something other than the software upgrade. I feel screwed...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
All Ball's clutch plate was replaced with the '09-spec unit at approximately 10,000 under warranty. The symptom was an occasional reluctance to shift from Park into Reverse or Drive. They then performed a computerised diagnosis that, along with the symptom I described, confirmed the need for the replacement.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.