Did it pull left or right?
Did it stop in the spot?
Did the fasten belt hold you in place?
Did it stop very quick?
Did it make tire noise?

·
Registered
646 Posts
By definition, a car with anti-lock brakes cannot leave skid marks. Maybe some dotted lines but definitely not skid marks.

If it does, it needs to go in for service, the ABS computer is not working. When a car with ABS has something in the ABS system fail, the system defaults to "normal" brakes and will skid to a stop (under hard braking).

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have had the following happen to me as mentioned in a previous thread
I personally have had a situation where I had to slam on my brakes in the ED and they did not work as I expected new brakes to work. I ended up rolling into an intersection where I should have been able to stop in time if the brakes worked correctly. I stood on them and I slowly creeped to a stop (past the line).

When this happened it almost felt like the anti-lock system kicked in but did not chatter on/off like the system is supposed to do under those circumstances. Felt more like it disengaged the brakes but never alternated back and forth. Kinda hard to explain. But according to trooplewis
When a car with ABS has something in the ABS system fail, the system defaults to "normal" brakes and will skid to a stop (under hard braking).
It seemed more like the opposite of this. Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had the following happen to me as mentioned in a previous thread .

When this happened it almost felt like the anti-lock system kicked in but did not chatter on/off like the system is supposed to do under those circumstances. Felt more like it disengaged the brakes but never alternated back and forth. Kinda hard to explain. But according to trooplewis It seemed more like the opposite of this. Does that make any sense?
Yes, I got you. Thanks for your info.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I haven't tried them with the ED, but usually with ABS you will get feedback through the brake pedal when you do a panic stop. Feels like the pedal is pushing back at you in pulses.

I'll try it the next time we have some rain. Wet streets with no traffic and a lot of open room are the best time to test anti-lock brakes out.

But let me reiterate. If you are able to lay down a continuous skid mark, your ABS system is NOT working.

And one other thing, the ABS only activates under what I would call a full-on panic stop. "Hard" braking is not enough to set it off unless the street is very wet or icy.

And for those of you who are curious, your Traction Control System is basically just the ABS system working in reverse. Instead of pulsing the brake pedals apart to keep the wheels from locking up, they pulse the pads together to control wheel-spin.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I haven't tried them with the ED, but usually with ABS you will get feedback through the brake pedal when you do a panic stop. Feels like the pedal is pushing back at you in pulses.
I tried the ABS on the first snow fall a few weeks ago. They work great, and exactly as expected. The pulsing effect is similar to any other car I've experienced anti-lock brakes in.

Here is a video I made of the drive, and I engaged the anti-lock brakes at the end of the video, you can faintly hear the pulsing sound of the system.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried the ABS on the first snow fall a few weeks ago. They work great, and exactly as expected. The pulsing effect is similar to any other car I've experienced anti-lock brakes in.

Here is a video I made of the drive, and I engaged the anti-lock brakes at the end of the video, you can faintly hear the pulsing sound of the system.
Smart Fortwo Electric Drive in the Snow - YouTube
I have never seen the ABS feature working. I have never gone to the snow. I'll try it on a rainy day.
Does it engage automatically or one has to turn it on manually?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have never seen the ABS feature working. I have never gone to the snow. I'll try it on a rainy day.
It is always on, you cannot turn it off or adjust it.
Whenever the onboard ABS computer senses that any of the four wheels is about to lock up (i.e. go into a skid), the ABS activates and keeps the wheels rolling enough for you to still be able to steer.

Remember, ABS does not (necessarily) make you stop faster, it just allows you to use the steering wheel and therefore have control over where the car is going. It's all about control and avoidance in a panic stop

Without ABS, when you go into a skid, you can turn the steering wheel any way you want to but the car keeps just going in the same direction, since the wheels are locked up and just sliding.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
As said above, the stopping distance may be slightly longer when the ABS kicks in. Probably not noticed by those who have grown up using braking systems with ABS but for those of us who did a lot of driving before ABS was available, there was somewhat of a learning curve. While perhaps not as effective, many of us learned to pulse the brake pedal to avoid lockup and skidding. The first time you experienced the ABS system engage and it took longer to come to a stop than you expected was disconcerting.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My question also - is the ABS/ESP on the electric drives any different than on the ICE smarts? If so, how? :confused:
I'm told it is the same system with slightly different programming, to accommodate the additional weight and different handling characteristics of the ED.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
How did your ED respond?
Did it leave skid marks?
Did it pull left or right?
Did it stop in the spot?
Did the fasten belt hold you in place?
Did it stop very quick?
Did it make tire noise?
If working properly a car with ABS should not pull in either direction, nor should it leave skid marks. The belts should in fact lock up, since part of the design is a free swinging weight that locks the spindle when more than a set amount of deceleration happens. The tires should not make much noise, though they squeak a bit if the ground is especially dry and the tires are warm (ie on really hot days).

And yes, I've used them in my ED trying to avoid hitting a deer. The ABS worked just like the in my 2008 ICE smart, and my 2001 Saturn SC2 before it. The stopping power was just as expected, though sadly still not enough to stop me from hitting the deer. (It lept in front of me, so reaction time was sub-second.) It did make the impact happen at 5-ish mph versus 30 or 40 mph, which was enough to limit damage to both us and the deer.

It's on by default. There is actually a way to disable it, by pulling a fuse, but you really don't want to unless you need it off temporarily for getting out of a snow bank or mud or the like. That fuse also runs a few other things, which you really don't want to disable for any length of time.

My question also - is the ABS/ESP on the electric drives any different than on the ICE smarts? If so, how? :confused:
Outside of minor changes for weight and distribution, I doubt it. The breaking system as a whole is mainly unchanged with the exception that the "play" in the break line is about 5% more than in my 2008 smart. That extra area is used by the computer to enable or turn up the regenerative breaking system for more recapture when used for light breaking.

That's one reason the ED pads should last longer if you're driving with regen in mind. They're not generally engaging unless you're stopping quickly. The pads are now mainly for holding the car at stop, or for the last few mph where the regen system can't effectively slow the car. Even if you drive it like a "normal" car, the regen system is still taking enough away that the pad wear should be less over-all compared to a normal ICE smart.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And yes, I've used them in my ED trying to avoid hitting a deer. The ABS worked just like the in my 2008 ICE smart, and my 2001 Saturn SC2 before it. The stopping power was just as expected, though sadly still not enough to stop me from hitting the deer. (It lept in front of me, so reaction time was sub-second.) It did make the impact happen at 5-ish mph versus 30 or 40 mph, which was enough to limit damage to both us and the deer.
So the car did NOT stop. My car at that speed 30~40 stops in the spot!
No skid marks, no noises, no pulling left or right. When the car has good brakes and properly adjusted simply stops period.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts