Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 307 Posts

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
We have really done it this time! Nick from Troy laser/fab and myself have become obsessed with the motorcycle powered Smart Cars on you tube and have decided to build one! I am starting this thread as sort of a journal on the build process. I am going to post everything- disassembly, mock-up, fabrication, etc. I am also going to post the crazy ideas that may or may not work, false starts, re-do's and all of the other stuff that go's along a project of this magnitude.
I plan on someday to offer this as a kit as well as a turn-key conversion.

We have purchased a very nice 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa engine complete with airbox and wire harness, 5,000 miles. Purchased from E-bay for $2700 shipped. It is in very nice shape, a few scratches on the stator cover, but otherwise perfect.
A differential with reverse was very important to us. We have chosen the Powertec/Quaife unit. It is the same one as the Smartuki kit. This piece is really nice and really really expensive ($3,200 shipped!) This is by far the most expensive single component of the conversion but well worth it. It has a reverse gear, limited slip differential, and you can have all 6 speeds in reverse if you are crazy enough ( which we are)
We are going to start building and engineering in a couple weeks, here is a few pictures of my ugly mug and the parts we have bought so far.
Stay tuned.........
Matt:)

·
Registered
9,044 Posts
...Matt...you know the maniacs here will stay glued to this thread..me too

..thanks for the update...keep up the good work

jetfuel

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Going against the grain here, and I certainly appreciate the engineering effort involved and the increase in performance, but this whole concept strikes me as an answer to a question nobody asked. Matt's already got $5,900 in this and hasn't turned a wrench. After all of the additional parts and labor, the result will be an insanely quick $40K car. There are several of those out there already that can be bought off the lot and come with a warranty.

Again, not bashing anyone and am all in favor of trying new things. And it does put some perspective on the value for money of the turbo kits. :)

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
I am HAPPY you are doing this. DON'T GIVE up till it happens. I know you can do it. THE United States NEEDS THIS AS AN ALTERNATIVE OPTION even if it is the most expensive one. In time with more resources and competition the price will come down.
How much are you willing to pay to beat a Ferrari off the line? I know I would pay up to $8K if the funds are there.

PLEASE POST AS MANY PICS AS POSSIBLE FOR WE LOVE PIC ON SCOA.

THANKS and GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aftermarket Engine in NJ/NYC

Hey Guys! I'm buying a SMART, but I really need to find someone to change the engine for me. The Hayabusa Diablo Kit would be great. I don't need 6 gears in reverse like you guys do, although I probably won't have as much fun with it as you will! Does anyone know where I can find someone in the Northeast with a good kit willing to do this for me?
Thanks so much!
--Jesse C

·
Registered
499 Posts
I am HAPPY you are doing this. DON'T GIVE up till it happens. I know you can do it. THE United States NEEDS THIS AS AN ALTERNATIVE OPTION even if it is the most expensive one. In time with more resources and competition the price will come down.
How much are you willing to pay to beat a Ferrari off the line? I know I would pay up to $8K if the funds are there.

PLEASE POST AS MANY PICS AS POSSIBLE FOR WE LOVE PIC ON SCOA.

THANKS and GOOD LUCK.
Yep can't wait to see what you do.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hey Matt, do you know how much bigger the busa is dimentions wise than the gsxr1000 engine, or the r1. Gonna be a fun ride!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Going against the grain here, and I certainly appreciate the engineering effort involved and the increase in performance, but this whole concept strikes me as an answer to a question nobody asked. Matt's already got $5,900 in this and hasn't turned a wrench. After all of the additional parts and labor, the result will be an insanely quick $40K car. There are several of those out there already that can be bought off the lot and come with a warranty.

Again, not bashing anyone and am all in favor of trying new things. And it does put some perspective on the value for money of the turbo kits. :)

The $40k insanely quick car bought off the lot simply wouldn't be as much of an eye catcher, or as fun. Too much power+micro car=good times.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,109 Posts

If money were no object, I'd find this interesting - I like the idea of a super sleeper. I've seen some interesting cars using this line of thought. I remember an AWD, 500 hp New Beetle that looked pretty much stock in one of the car mags. They had some comment about "Ferrari hunting" and "bud vases" - hilarious. There's just something appealing to that. And, the more stock it can look, the better, IMHO.

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
Just think there are also turbo kits for the Busa enginge and Nos application too. So skys are the limint once the build is complete.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Matt, do you know how much bigger the busa is dimensions wise than the gsxr1000 engine, or the r1. Gonna be a fun ride!!!
I don't really think its that much bigger at all. I have a friend that parts out sport bikes. When this is all done I can take the frame section over to him and set a couple of different motors in. Then we can see if it's possible to come up with some adapters or different mounts for other engines

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't really think its that much bigger at all. I have a friend that parts out sport bikes. When this is all done I can take the frame section over to him and set a couple of different motors in. Then we can see if it's possible to come up with some adapters or different mounts for other engines
Thanks Matt, the reason I asked is when I talked to the guy a ZCars. The original designer of the smartuki kit for the 450. He said that is the reason he didn't use the busa motor. Because it didn't fit. The 450 is smaller in the back than the 451 though.

1 - 20 of 307 Posts