Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jennifer was driving home from work last night... she's bruised but will be ok. Details of the crash... Car hydroplaned at approx 60-65mph on the bridge over the Manatee River on Interstate 75 in the far left of 3 lanes. Car fishtailed and swung left to hit the inside bridge barrier wall head on hard enough to deploy 2 airbags and then hydroplaned backwards across all 3 lanes of traffic coming to rest backwards in the right emergency lane. Engine still worked and car was moved to the nearest safe parking lot after being checked out by the fire department. Not sure on it's status pending insurance claim stuff.... but the car saved her life last night... twice at once... 6 inches or a foot higher on the center of gravity and I'm pretty sure the car would have gone over the railing to the river 70 feet below. She'll drive a smart for as long as I can get one for her.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good to hear that Jennifer is ok and hopefully no too traumatised by the event. The car itself did the job that a lot of people don't believe it's capable of and that is protect it's passengers in situations like this. From the image it looks totally repairable but can't say for sure without seeing the frame behind the busted panels.
This is a good reassuring story. Thank you and speedy recovery.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Wow ... amazing good fortune and car-selection abilities. Despite how she may feel now, Jennifer should definitely take it easy for a few days as injuries from these kinds of events are known to pop up after the adrenaline of the moment subsides.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
I hope Jen is feeling better.
It sucks that they totaled it without looking. Maybe you'll come out ahead?!:(
On a less important note, was that your new radiator fan? :eek:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Best wishes for a prompt recovery!
...and a rapid and significant insurance claim payout.

Dang. Knew these were tough little cars; once again we find out that's the case.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope Jen is feeling better.
It sucks that they totaled it without looking. Maybe you'll come out ahead?!:(
On a less important note, was that your new radiator fan? :eek:
A couple of days of rest have done her well... found some new bruises too. LOL

Yes... the $700 radiator fan lasted all of a week before it was crunched. :crying:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I see a 0% APR offer for up to 72 months on the right side of my screen or up towards the top, plus $1000 Special Bonus Cash*. Looks like a sign.....
When I bought my 2013 I qualified for $1000 customer loyalty, $2000 discount for being a member of USAA (didn't cost anything to join and I have no accounts with them) and I got $2500 on trade in on my 2008 passion. I'm not saying this will work for everyone but it worked out for me. Online registration for USAA only took a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
When I bought my 2013 I qualified for $1000 customer loyalty, $2000 discount for being a member of USAA (didn't cost anything to join and I have no accounts with them) and I got $2500 on trade in on my 2008 passion. I'm not saying this will work for everyone but it worked out for me. Online registration for USAA only took a few minutes.
Not military related. Closest is a cousin or Uncle, who's retired....

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wife's dad is retired Navy... wonder if that gets us in the door.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts