Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well rule number one is do not sit stopped with a Smart car in gear. Would you sit in gear with the clutch down that long at traffic lights in a normal manual car?

Because it is an automated manual gearbox you should never sit in gear for a long time.

Where are you?

Do you have access to a Star system? You need to read the fault codes with something capable.
I’m in London and no I don’t have any diagnostics tool apart from a basic eBay one can you please help me I will pay for you time thank you

·
Registered
111 Posts
Too far away.

Who fitted the new clutch actuator?
Did you teach the clutch after doing it?
Did you install it correctly (three notches after free play removed)?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Too far away.

A garage fitted it, it didn’t need reprogramming as started to shift gears as normal.
However later that hour the problems consisted so I paid a guy to do program the clutch and transmission and erase code even after that the problems still occurred. He used a snap on Solus diagnostics the programming was successful but the codes remained.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Too far away.

So I decided to buy a new battery removed the old one and installed the new one for an hour there was no engine light or error code and then suddenly idling in the traffic light it started not to shift gear. Could the alternator be stressed or the ECU? Is there a sensor that might be faulty I have no idea

·
Administrator
29,522 Posts
Could this be related to the mhd system? Wasn't there a pulley issue of some kind? :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
17,768 Posts
Well rule number one is do not sit stopped with a Smart car in gear. Would you sit in gear with the clutch down that long at traffic lights in a normal manual car?

Because it is an automated manual gearbox you should never sit in gear for a long time.
Are you talking about the mass clutch release bearing failures reported in Canada and the UK? The Canadians hashed it out and learned that putting it into neutral probably doesn't really save your transmission from wearing.

And it must be less of an issue with the 451 and 453 because the reports are far fewer for these newer cars.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Are you talking about the mass clutch release bearing failures reported in Canada and the UK? The Canadians hashed it out and learned that putting it into neutral probably doesn't really save your transmission from wearing.
No, I didn't know there was an issue. I am just stating that as it is a manual gearbox with a bit of gadgetry then it makes sense to treat it as a manual gearbox and do not sit at lights with it in gear in the same way as you would not do it in a manual car with a clutch. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes brought and start and stop battery and no the he just fit it on he didint know anything about smart cars
It was giving the same codes and issues when it broke down but the only difference was the actuator was broken and wouldn’t shift gears at all now the new one fitted does shift gears and drive but still same so maybe it’s something else?

·
Registered
111 Posts
It has to be fitted correctly or it will not work properly even if it does work.

The correct method is to fit it with all three bolts loose so that the actuator can be slid on the slots.
Slide the actuator until you feel it touch the clutch arm and there is no play.
Push the actuator three notches towards the engine. The notches are marked where the bolts are.
Tighten the bolts while holding it in that position.

This is important, anything other than doing it that way leaves you with an unpredictable clutch.
You can easily do ti yourself with an E10 socket and the car backed onto a pair of car ramps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It has to be fitted correctly or it will not work properly even if it does work.

The correct method is to fit it with all three bolts loose so that the actuator can be slid on the slots.
Slide the actuator until you feel it touch the clutch arm and there is no play.
Push the actuator three notches towards the engine. The notches are marked where the bolts are.
Tighten the bolts while holding it in that position.

This is important, anything other than doing it that way leaves you with an unpredictable clutch.
You can easily do ti yourself with an E10 socket and the car backed onto a pair of car ramps.
Okay thank you I try that tomorrow when I go to the garage and ask them to do this for me do you have any pictures for guidance I really don’t know much about cars thank you

·
Registered
111 Posts
Okay thank you I try that tomorrow when I go to the garage and ask them to do this for me do you have any pictures for guidance I really don’t know much about cars thank you
Sounds to me like an opportunity to learn right here and now. :)

I think there are some you tube videos and certainly posts on this forum and all the other forums up and down.

I would not trust any garage near my smart car for any reason other than maybe putting fuel in it and occasionally washing the windows and even then I want to know what they are washing them with.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I think there are some you tube videos and certainly posts on this forum and all the other forums up and down.

I would not trust any garage near my smart car for any reason other than maybe putting fuel in it and occasionally washing the windows and even then I want to know what they are washing them with.
Thank you so much for replying appreciate so much cos everywhere I’m asking nobody is helping me. The alternator is fine checked it with load so the only issue is the clutch actuator I need to get to the bottom of this I don’t want to scrap the car or spend loads of money fixing it as I’ve spent already too much.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Just checked the voltage with loads the alternator is fine thankfully. Read 14.4 when the car is running consistently if I leave the blowers on full blast goes to 13.4

Now this is what happens the eco orange light stays lit for around 2-3 mins then after it will blink and switch off and then the engine jerks once while stationary idle after that the car won’t engage into any gears.

It’s like ECU is telling the car something for not to engage in gears. I turn off the engine wait another 2-3 and it back to engaging but the problem is consistent this all happens while idling not in motion.

·
Super Moderator
17,768 Posts
Once this three bars issue is cleared your car should start and drive fine. I'd take another look at and maybe try to reposition the clutch actuator. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else is causing your inconsistent shifting.

Have you taken a look at the shift motor? It's a gray cylinder in the engine bay, more or less under the tubing for the stock airbox. It has two connectors going to it sprouting out of the bottom. When those connectors get dirty they're known to cause shifting problems, including getting stuck.

No, I didn't know there was an issue. I am just stating that as it is a manual gearbox with a bit of gadgetry then it makes sense to treat it as a manual gearbox and do not sit at lights with it in gear in the same way as you would not do it in a manual car with a clutch. :)
Ah, I see. :)

I guess that's fair. I put my manual cars into neutral at lights, but leave the motorcycles in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. With some of the old bikes I ride it'll take longer to find Neutral than the light's length. lol Smarts? Neutral if the light's long enough, otherwise nah.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Once this three bars issue is cleared your car should start and drive fine. I'd take another look at and maybe try to reposition the clutch actuator. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else is causing your inconsistent shifting.

Have you taken a look at the shift motor? It's a gray cylinder in the engine bay, more or less under the tubing for the stock airbox. It has two connectors going to it sprouting out of the bottom. When those connectors get dirty they're known to cause shifting problems, including getting stuck.

Ah, I see. :)

I guess that's fair. I put my manual cars into neutral at lights, but leave the motorcycles in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. With some of the old bikes I ride it'll take longer to find Neutral than the light's length. lol Smarts? Neutral if the light's long enough, otherwise nah.
I have that T shirt on my R series BMWs where neutral sits somewhere known only to the Germans that designed it somewhere between the hens teeth and the unicorn droppings.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts