Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me of any installation tips for the low beam headlamps? I got the stupid bulb out and can't see a failure. I tested the new lamp in the socket so think there is a short. I used to get it to come on by giving a thump to the housing.

At anyrate, how the heck is the lamp properly put back into the @#$%!***[email protected]# socket!!!!?

If SMART did this to force us to the dealer, I am going to be unhappy. Second lamp failure in only 18,000 miles.

Right side went out but also cam on with a few sharp bumps.

While talking about repairing with a sharp rap....My blower fan can be made to come on when hit too.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Did you check the fuse? I seem to remember seeing one mentioned while browsing the owners manual once. :)

Ooops, messed up. Not sure what you are talking about since it is pretty easy and fits right in there.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Just make sure you have the tab on the bulb line up with the holes in the housing and it fits right in. Be gentle with the clip too, if you try to force it, posters have said you can pop out the hinge side. If that happens, the clip can fall and disappear into the depths of the car and then you've got a big PITA to recover it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I just went through a headlight replacement...

there are two fuses: a right and a left headlight fuse.

the bulbs fit into the socket only one way, there is an alignment pin on the housing and a slot on the bulb base.

the bulb retaining clip is sort of wanky: be careful you don't disconnect the clip, it could get lost in the front service compartment.

once you check the fuse, replacing the headlight bulb is a cinch.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Head lamp bulb replacement

I pulled in Jeffy Lube and they replaced the bulb for less than $7.00. Took them about 6 minutes to do it. I asked if they had done a smart bulb replacement previously. They said thay had not. They didn't even look in the oweners book! :)

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts