Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we've talked about headlight adjustment before on several posts. I put 5000K Xenons in my 451 back in July and I had to end up pulling the front clip to repair the headlight adjuster on the passenger side because it was broken. I adjusted them down because several talked here about blinding other drivers, so I pulled it up to the garage door and dropped them down some and that was that.
Well with the days of summer being so long I've never had an occasion to drive it after dark. Well last night my son needed some help at his house and he lives miles out in the middle of no where down a twisty turning narrow road. Well it ended up being totally dark before I left to go back home. I thought "oh boy I can finally test out my new xenon low beams". Well I turned them on and they were literally shining about 8 to 10 feet on the ground in front of me and with the upper cutoff point being really sharp I couldn't have driven 5 mph and seen where I was going. I kicked on my now "yellow looking high beams" and was able to drive until I met a car coming towards me, then I had to go to low beams and pull over beside the road until the car passed. My short jaunt on interstate to get to my country road was interesting to say the least running low beams only.
So I need to know if I pull my car out on the road, how many feet from the front of my car should the beam hit on the road. Or maybe I should ask how far up the road should the upper cutoff beam hit the road? I can't find a spec for it anywhere. Thanks...DCO

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
You can set it roughly by parking from a concrete wall ~ 10 feet away and measuring the centreline of each beam and mark it on the wall with chalk or tape as a + sign perpendicular to the light. Then draw a horizontal line to connect the low beam cutoffs and draw another line maybe 1-2 inches below it. Use that as your guide for horizontal and vertical adjustment. If you only adjusted the vertical, the horizontal may be OK.

Then fine-tune as necessary.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I use the 1 inch drop per 12 ft rule... park 12 ft from a wall on a level surface and measure the height of the center of the headlight. Now put a piece of tape on the wall at that height.. Aim the center of the hot spot about an inch below that.

You might want to go a touch lower as when these cars hit bumps, the lights bounce and people think you are flashing the high beams at them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts