Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still don't think my driver's side headlight is quite right, though I've been known to be wrong before. First off I verified that both bulbs are mounted correctly by checking them with a mirror. Also, the bulb on the drivers side is new. I parked facing a garage door and lit it up with the low beams, below is a photo of that. It's obvious that the driver's side isn't contributing nearly as much as the passenger side, and in fact it looks like there's something blocking some of the light. Am I going crazy or is this not right?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
You are right, it isn't right.
Pattern left and right should be virtually the same. The location of the filament in the projector is critical. What position on the clock face is the locating tab of the bulb. I think I remember it being in about the 7 o'clock position, but don't remember for sure, since it has been so long since I put my HID bulbs in. HID's have no filament to burn out so that problem went away.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What position on the clock face is the locating tab of the bulb. I think I remember it being in about the 7 o'clock position.....
Off the top of my head I'm thinking it's around 6 o'clock on the drivers side. I do remember that it was different than the passenger's side. I'll have to take a look again tonight and verify the exact positioning of the bulbs.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
The tab position is the same on both sides. The filament is presently mis-aligned on the driver's side causing the shadow. Re-visit that bulb rotation to match the passenger side and you should have a new gleam in your eye. :D
I've been down this road myself.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tab position is the same on both sides. The filament is presently mis-aligned on the driver's side causing the shadow. Re-visit that bulb rotation to match the passenger side .......

The thing is there's one and only one way for the bulb to fit into the headlight. I checked, double checked, and then checked a few more times to make sure that both bulbs were installed with the tab between the two tangs on the headlight assembly. I'll look again tonight to make sure I'm not going crazy. Is there a way to rotate something in the headlight assembly to get it into proper alignment?

Also, I'm suspicious that there might have been some damage in that area since I've had to repair burnt wires for the low beam on that side and I've also found that the windshield washer reservoir leaks. I don't see any obvious signs of damage, but it's a heck of a coincidence that all this is going on in the same general vicinity.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I've never had the headlamp case open before, so I can't help you with the projector lens and lamp socket positioning. Littodevil would be an excellent source of information, but is not active on here much anymore. He installs really high end (spelled expensive) custom HID systems on one-off show cars. If you can find a drivers side headlamp pod on ebay or from a parts car, might be your easiest solution, though usually not cheap.
I suppose you don't have much to lose by opening the headlamp case to see what you can see. It might be a good time to paint the interior of your headlamps if you are so inclined. You bake the pods in a warm (not hot) oven to soften the adhesive so the pods can be pried apart and then see what you can see. I've never done it, but others on here have done the painting thing.

As for your washer reservoir, did you know that you can repair a plastic reservoir body like that by melting a piece of plastic milk bottle on to the cracked part? It is plastic welding using a low temperature soldering iron to melt the two plastics together. Chieftmc successfully repaired his that way. Hail to the chief!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I verified the positioning of the bulbs tonight, both bulbs (drivers side and passenger side) are indeed sitting in their holders correctly and both are oriented identically with the locating tabs at approximately 7 o'clock as viewed from the front (I suppose they appeared to be at different angles last night because of how I had to hold the mirror differently for each side to be able to see them). So ..... I take it the only conclusion is that the drivers side headlamp assembly is bad?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Try switching the bulbs to the opposite side. I'm thinking that one bulb is not quite right if you say you have them in the holders correctly. If the pattern goes haywire when you switch, I'd just get two new matching bulbs...It's a lot easier than messing with the headlamp assemblies...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try switching the bulbs to the opposite side. I'm thinking that one bulb is not quite right if you say you have them in the holders correctly. If the pattern goes haywire when you switch, I'd just get two new matching bulbs...It's a lot easier than messing with the headlamp assemblies...
Yep, good point. I shoulda' thought of that.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I've never had the headlamp case open before, so I can't help you with the projector lens and lamp socket positioning. Littodevil would be an excellent source of information, but is not active on here much anymore. He installs really high end (spelled expensive) custom HID systems on one-off show cars. If you can find a drivers side headlamp pod on ebay or from a parts car, might be your easiest solution, though usually not cheap.
I suppose you don't have much to lose by opening the headlamp case to see what you can see. It might be a good time to paint the interior of your headlamps if you are so inclined. You bake the pods in a warm (not hot) oven to soften the adhesive so the pods can be pried apart and then see what you can see. I've never done it, but others on here have done the painting thing.

As for your washer reservoir, did you know that you can repair a plastic reservoir body like that by melting a piece of plastic milk bottle on to the cracked part? It is plastic welding using a low temperature soldering iron to melt the two plastics together. Chieftmc successfully repaired his that way. Hail to the chief!

Actually, I fixed mine with a piece of Eternabond tape :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, swapping the bulbs didn't change anything. Problem stayed with the driver's side.

Also, my wife decided the car needed to be washed tonight and I noticed a lot of condensation inside the drivers side headlight assembly. And I neglected to mention that the rear cap is missing on that side as well. If it's been like that for quite a while could that be an issue?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
You could have issues with the reflector on the drivers side especially since the rubber cap is missing.....BUMMER!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could have issues with the reflector on the drivers side especially since the rubber cap is missing.....BUMMER!
I'm beginning to think along those lines.... I assume the only recourse to make it right is to buy a new assembly?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We figured we'd inherit a few problems since we bought this one at a used car dealer. At least we got a great price on it so that I don't mind spending a bit to make it right. A cool little car like this deserves to be properly maintained.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
When I installed Fog Lights on my Saturn, the insides of the housings were gunked up with dust, sand and other foreign contaminants of the sort.

All I did was take them inside, fill them with some hot soapy water, swish it around real good, dump it, rinse it out, and let them dry REALLY well.

It helped a ton, and it improved the light output ever so slightly. If the reflectors on yours appear gunked up, water and liquid dish soap are a cheap test to see if you can clear something up.

Since the cap is missing, is it possible the clip (or something back there) got damaged and isn't holding the bulb in place correctly? That's my guess.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I am looking for a blinker bulb holder. mine broke. let me know if you get a new fixture and would be willing to part out the old fixture to a good home.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am looking for a blinker bulb holder. mine broke. let me know if you get a new fixture and would be willing to part out the old fixture to a good home.
Will do.... I've ordered a new assembly today, probably won't arrive until next week. My plan right now is to tackle all the issues the following weekend, so after that.....

Since the cap is missing, is it possible the clip (or something back there) got damaged and isn't holding the bulb in place correctly?
Nope, the clip is good and the bulb is firmly in position. Believe me, I'd have been thrilled if it was something like that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts