Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Put LEDs out of your mind. I tried to replace mine with properly numbered LEDs for the tailights and the car went crazy! I think it monitors current drain on lights and does crazy things with LED replacements except for the interior light I used to kill the battery in the 10 amp light bulb on position. Using Walmart LED replacement bulb draws only .053A now. If you leave it on all night, the battery doesn't care compared to the hot 10A original. Low power LED lights drive it crazy.

·
Administrator
29,716 Posts
The owners manual lists those bulbs in the Vehicle Care section.....
1. Turn signal - 2357 A
2. Parking/side marker - WY 5 W
3. Low beam - H7
4. High beam - H7
:)

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,118 Posts
Sylvania Auto Bulbs

Click on the 'Find Your Part Number"

·
Registered
172 Posts
So just after this thread I replaced the headlights with LEDs from amazon. They have their own little cooling fan. They have worked perfectly ever since and are at least 50% brighter than stock and much whiter.
You can also add resistors to the system to equalize ohms or get resistor leds as stated.
I am really not a fan of canbus. Seems like an answer to a question no one asked.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The old way was better. Who wants to reset the whole car when a marker light blows out?
GK Chesterton once said "Before you tear down a fence, first try to figure out why it was put up in the first place".
Such is true with so many systems that have been "upgraded" but actually made worse.
Just my opinion as an old motorcycle mechanic. YMMV

·
Registered
172 Posts
Haha yeah well I've spent 22yrs wrenching on racebikes so I guess I am old now. I still race myself so I am not that old at 53. I also work on cars and see all the new "tech" that prevents easy fixes. My 02 Astro van has 249k miles so I know how to make vehicles last. I just dont thing newer vehicles are made to last.
That is me in my avitar. The bike is old too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, Tux! Last year I was wondering exactly about your question, and I found that installing the regular smart light bulbs at the 1 3 5 places is really an option, since even designed card bulbs are not so different from the regular smart bulbs, but are more expensive, I tried to install them as my regular lighting, it worked perfectly, and at the same time, they are easier to install, so you don't need to approach any professional car service to proceed the replacement procedure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts