Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past twenty years I have utilized 80 watt bulbs on low beam and 100 watt bulbs on high beam, and these higher-wattage bulbs have required the use of an aftermarket harness which features a relay as well as a circuit breaker and/or fuse. I never had any problems with blinding other drivers as I made sure the headlights were aimed properly and of course I used high beams as required. I would suggest that anyone contemplating the installation of higher-wattage bulbs in their SMART first have a look at Daniel Stern's website for additional information:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/[

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Over the past twenty years I have utilized 80 watt bulbs on low beam and 100 watt bulbs on high beam, and these higher-wattage bulbs have required the use of an aftermarket harness which features a relay as well as a circuit breaker and/or fuse. I never had any problems with blinding other drivers as I made sure the headlights were aimed properly and of course I used high beams as required. I would suggest that anyone contemplating the installation of higher-wattage bulbs in their SMART first have a look at Daniel Stern's website for additional information:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/[
I've used bulbs in that wattage range for years in a number of different vehicles and have never needed a relayed harness or even an upgraded fuse.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Aren`t you aware that a ONE YEAR long international traffic study (in all the major countries) has shown that these lights (xenon and H.I.D.) cause 1 of every 6 HEAD ON collisions?????

Also highway and police depts all over the United States are reporting that these lights are the #1 cause of violent road rage....

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
The key here is operating them correctly and having them correctly aimed. The fools that cause the collisions and 'road rage' are usually the ones who drive with the high beams on all the time, refuse to dim them for oncomming traffic or when following. After a head on collision, it would be difficult to check the alignment when the lights are blamed for the collision. At might on a back road, they are most definately needed to aid in seeing wildlife before it jumps out onto the road in front of you. They saved my skin many times riding home after dark on my motorcycle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The key here is operating them correctly and having them correctly aimed. The fools that cause the collisions and 'road rage' are usually the ones who drive with the high beams on all the time, refuse to dim them for oncomming traffic or when following. After a head on collision, it would be difficult to check the alignment when the lights are blamed for the collision. At might on a back road, they are most definately needed to aid in seeing wildlife before it jumps out onto the road in front of you. They saved my skin many times riding home after dark on my motorcycle.
Jackblds reply.....Having them aimed correctly does NOT matter as we don`t drive on perfectly flat roads....the 3-5 second momentary blindness is because we drive on hills, slight inclines/declines and curves....this is when the blindness occurs

As for needing to see wildlife on rural roads....that too is NOT correct as the study showed that these lights blind the pedestrians (and animals) so much that they actually step into the vehicles path because of the "white out" effect.....

Another disastrous effect of these lights is that is rainy weather....the oncoming vehicles windshields is turned into a crystalized blurr of irridesence....The risk of HEAD ON collision is dramatically increased because the blurr is so intense that the oncoming vehicle driver can NOT see the white line to use as a guide to stay in their lane.....

I do think these lights are great IF I am the ONLY person on the road....but After learning about these facts....Only a fool would think these lights are cool

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
As for needing to see wildlife on rural roads....that too is NOT correct as the study showed that these lights blind the pedestrians (and animals) so much that they actually step into the vehicles path because of the "white out" effect.....

BUT.. if you don't see them to begin with.... At least you can reduce speed and anticipate their possible actions. I had some driving lights that I only used on the backroads when I was driving at night. In town I would shut theem off, and I tried not to get caught in bad weather (on a motorcycle, it does tend to be painful in the rain)

As always, when used for their intended purpose, they are just fine.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Aren`t you aware that a ONE YEAR long international traffic study (in all the major countries) has shown that these lights (xenon and H.I.D.) cause 1 of every 6 HEAD ON collisions?????

Also highway and police depts all over the United States are reporting that these lights are the #1 cause of violent road rage....
is this a " They say " or can you point a link to the study? Or, is this study conducted by global warming scientists?

·
Super Moderator
28,913 Posts

Hope you weren't expecting a response from the two 07 posters; they haven't been around for awhile. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Xenon / HID cause HEAD ON COLLISION article source

It has been about a year or two since I read the article but believe it was in "International Traveler" magazine.....I read it on a airplane trip coming from houston, texas to seattle one afternoon....

The Year long traffic study was conducted in America, Europe (including Germany, France, Sweden,Italy) as well as Japan and China.

FACTORY Installed Xenon and H.I.D. were the only lights included in the study.....ONLY D.O.T. approved lights were included.

The following conclusions were 1 out of every 6 Head on collisions were caused by these lights....due to a 3-5 second momentary blindness. The blindness was caused from the naturally occuring incline or decline or the curvature of direction.
There is NO alignment that will correct this situation, not even the self leveling feature (this actually makes it worse).

Other consequences of these lights is....ACCELERATED MACULAR DEGENERATION.....same damage done to your eye retinas as welding without your welders helmet on....try looking into an L.E.D. Flashlight for a similar experience.

On the positive side....Highway depts are hiring temporary workers to install miles and miles of "Glare shading" to reduce the onslaught to the public.....Just think....millions of our tax dollars spent (wasted) to erect these shades when we just need to restrict these "Blinding" lights from public roads.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Although this thread is a bit old, I'm hoping that it's still being monitored by some of you knowledgeable owners out there. Also, my specific question/problem is somewhat off-topic.
I bought my Smart4Two in March, 2009. Since then I've replaced 5 (yes, five) low beam headlamps in, alternately, the driver side and passenger side. The first three were replaced by the dealer. The last two I replaced myself.
Has anyone else had this experience?
Chris

·
Registered
810 Posts
I bought my Smart4Two in March, 2009. Since then I've replaced 5 (yes, five) ...Has anyone else had this experience?
Chris
My smart (new in April 2008) has had the following bulbs replaced.

15,711 miles
Replaced left High Beam Headlamp with H7 GE BP2
16,302 miles
Replaced left Tail Lamp with Sylvania 1157LL
Replaced both Low Beam Headlamps with H7 Philips X-Treme Power
Replaced both Low Beam Headlamps with H7 Philips Premium
Currently at 37,400

1 - 13 of 13 Posts