Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound elementary but I need some enlightenment - pun intended. I just went through mini-hell trying to remove the "spring clip" retainer from my burned out "low beam" lamp. I finally found some pictures on Evilution that showed the clip that I was having so much trouble removing...Every post I could find here, on line, and Evilution - even in my Operator's Manual - refers to the low beam as high beam and vise versa. I'd been trying to remove the banded spring clips that don't need to be removed (from the "high beam"). Almost destroyed it by the time I got the bulb out & had to bend it back to shape (almost) to put the new bulb in. My car is a 2009 Passion, bought it used three years ago. It's stock except for radio/cd player and cruise control. Is it possible that these lights have been ?flip- flopped? or do I just not know the difference between high & low? I'm 65. I can't relearn it now....

·
Super Moderator
11,222 Posts
As I recall, (don't think I ever replaced a high beam) they have different wiring connectors. The low beam has 3 wires, High beam has only 2(?) The spring clips can be a real pain especially if the bulb is not in the correct position.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
As I recall, (don't think I ever replaced a high beam) they have different wiring connectors. The low beam has 3 wires, High beam has only 2(?) The spring clips can be a real pain especially if the bulb is not in the correct position.
They both have 2 wires .... same bulb low and high :)

OP...looks like you figure it out correctly :D

·
Super Moderator
28,251 Posts
On our 2011 anyway, the low beam has a spring clip that has to be moved down to unlock; the high beam has a circular "press to fit" clip in the opening. Same H7 bulb for both. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup..... I did it again.. in my haste to fix the blown bulb after work, I looked too quick, then proceeded to change the wrong bulb... feeling kinda dumb right now... but thanx to all for the quick replies....

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
yup..... I did it again.. in my haste to fix the blown bulb after work, I looked too quick, then proceeded to change the wrong bulb... feeling kinda dumb right now... but thanx to all for the quick replies....
If THAT'S the worst thing you ever do...you'll be just fine :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts