Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here goes. I will try to explain this. I bought my 09 fortwo a couple months ago and one of the 1st things i noticed was that when I turned on the headlights they seem to have to (warm up) as best as I can explain it. They worked fine, just came on at 1st dim and in a couple seconds were bright. They do each have a little black box connected to each headlight if that tells ya anything. Yo make a long story short I got stopped this morn as soon as I pulled out of my drive for a headlight out and sure enough the drivers side was out so I will go get new bulb this evening after work. I am just wondering do I need a special bulb?? Is the (warming up) normal??? Has some thing been changed??? Any and all help appreciated. Thanks, Decon

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You're going to have to try to replace the (most likely) HID bulb, or possibly convert both sides back to stock. The black boxes are most likely aftermarket HID ballasts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$100.00 each for a headlight bulb!! If that's what I got I will be figuering out how to change them back. INSANE:eek:

·
17,349 Posts
Another problem others are missing is that it may not actually be the bulb that's broken. If a ballast (digital or analogue) is broken or is otherwise in a non-working condition, your bulb will not light.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I can tell, looks like the kits to change to HID are plug and play. If so should'nt my stock wiring still be there so I could change back to original bulbs??:confused:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yes, it should all be there. Most HID upgrades are due to how quick the Halogen bulbs burn out if you have a rough surface you drive on a daily basis.

·
17,349 Posts
From what I can tell, looks like the kits to change to HID are plug and play. If so should'nt my stock wiring still be there so I could change back to original bulbs??:confused:
HID kits usually come with little square/rectangle box that the car's wiring get connected to. Those boxes are either attached to the rubber seal or are mounted somewhere else in the service flap area. The bulbs often get connected to a connector coming from said boxes.

The only HID kit I know of that doesn't use this setup is the SmartMadness version, which blends the ballasts and the rubber seal into one unit. If you didn't know what it looked like you wouldn't even notice.

Also, regarding bulbs. If you don't know the temperature of the bulb (the most popular is 6000k) the new one you buy may not match.

Even if you do find one of matching temperature it might not match anyway. I find that the colour widely varies across brands, even the same temperature!

Example: I have a 6000k set from Uptown Dog Co. and a 6000k set from a random Chinese eBay seller.

- The Uptown Dog set is a somewhat light blue colour, it matches my car.
- The eBay set is a blue so light, it's basically just white.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
You might not want to be so quick to change back to OEM bulbs. In fact, some of us that haven't yet, like me, are seriously considering switching TO HID headlights, for the simple reason that the regular OEM bulbs, as well as any other H7 halogen bulbs, burn out way too frequent. Plus, the HIDs give you a lot more visible light for driving at night. :) In fact, I've gotta stop by the auto parts store on my way to work today to buy yet another set of H7 bulbs, because I had another one die on me at work about a week ago, so I bootlegged one of the high beam bulbs, and have been using it in my low beams for the last week or so. :(

·
17,349 Posts
IIRC - In either 2009 or 2011 smart added resistors into the lines so that bulbs would stop blowing.

Case in point: Only early owners (and those who bought early 451s second hand) note quickly blowing headlight bulbs.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yes, hopefully the stock wiring is still there. I haven't switched to HID because it is not legal. Neon is right, can't really tell whether it is the bulb or the ballast at this point, or even from both or another issue like a bad ground or something. Also, matching the color and brightness would mean you probably have to find the exact bulb...

·
17,349 Posts
Also, matching the color and brightness would mean you probably have to find the exact bulb...
Shoot, even exact bulbs are likely to have a slightly different tint/darkness.

Always replace bulbs in pairs, even HIDs...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 2009 Brabus and I burn out a driver's side low beam about once a year. What is this about adding a resistor?

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
I have a 2009 Brabus and I burn out a driver's side low beam about once a year. What is this about adding a resistor?
From the FAQ on smartusainsider.com:

6) Why are my headlights burning out quickly?

Headlamp bulbs can be sensitive to higher system voltages on cars. There is a resistance kit (A 451 540 23 06) that can be installed to reduce the voltage on the headlamps and prolong their life. Headlamps with integrated resistors have been installed in production since December 2010.
:)

http://www.smartusainsider.com/faq

1 - 20 of 22 Posts