Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving along in the bitter cold, maybe once a week, I'll notice I'm freezing my butt off. Well, heated seats but my legs are freezing! Bend down and ice cold air coming out the floor vent. Look up and temp is at the top, max (80 I think). I never move the lever from max heat in the winter. To get heat, I have to lever down to 60 then back up. Boom heat again. You think sticky "blend door", or a programming thing. Live with it? Other? Thanks much!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a thought - you might want to check the thermistor in the passenger footwell. Make sure the wires are intact and the contacts are clean. It's the white plug shown here:

:)
Thank you, I will check this plug. Seems like a bit of dielectric could hurt in any case.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably the hvac temperature control. The hvac control unit has been updated about four times.
That makes alot of sense. I plan on googling this. It's not anything dire at a once a week/while thing. Just makes me cranky to think I may wear out the temp lever doing the down up thing!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did you check the radiator level
I did actually, right before this spell of "polar vortex" LOL Not only the level, but also the coolant degree with the eye dropper. No, I think rusted wrench hit it, possibly followed by jwight, thanks guys. Since it instantly "fixes" itself with a flick of the lever, Im fine with that.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Mine went suddenly cold the other day. One click down and back up and I had maximum heat again. It only takes one click and back to cause the potentiometer to wipe clean its' contact making it work again. This is in part due to the type of potentiometer used.
The maximum and minimum settings give you exactly that and no longer offer automatic temp control like the other settings in between.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts