Smart Car of America Forum banner

321 - 339 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Got my 2008 smart in 2014 and once winter hit I noticed the fan would chirp on setting 3. I discovered this thread and cleaned and lubed the fan. All was good until this summer.

The fan started to speed up and slow down. It did that for a few weeks. I cleaned it pretty much every day to get it to work. Eventually the fan quit working all together. Narrowed the problem down to the brushes. I ordered some off of ebay and soldered them in. All is well again. The old brushes were so short that the wire was not allowing them to go forward any further so they were making intermittent contact.

If it wasn't for this thread I would have had no idea on how to get at the blower motor. I can have it out of the car in 2 seconds now that I've done it so many times.

Thanks!
2 seconds, that is a new speed record I am sure.:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Has anyone found the female 2-wire connector replacement that plugs into the blower.
Would cut and replace with new as the connection seems to be the issue after motor can runs well after cleaning.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Has anyone found the female 2-wire connector replacement that plugs into the blower.
Would cut and replace with new as the connection seems to be the issue after motor can runs well after cleaning.
I'm also interested in finding a replacement, since the small clip used to unhook the connector snapped the last time I cleaned the blower motor. I will also extend the cable to make it easier to disconnect.

I'm currently waiting on my Hella replacement motor from Rock Auto. That's the cheapest I've found, especially with the 5% discount coupon found online or if they sent you a return customer coupon. I considered buying a different $30 blower motor and following the instructions on the thread, but I was concerned about the comments indicating it was bit noisier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
These blower motors eat brushes. ALL DC motors do. Some faster than others. Buy replacements brushes on e-bay. The brush holders in the fan motor use a spring to force the brushes into the commutator. Pull brush spring back and hook on spot provided. The brushes will come out with little effort. Install new brushes. You will have to De-soldering & solder or just splice the wires to the brushes replaced. I have done both. I bought one replacement blower motor when I did not know any better. I have replaced the brushes in it. I now rotated them as one goes out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My blower motor is clean. I reassemble it and it still doesn't work. With the motor taken out, I put 12 volts to the leads and it spins fine. Anyone have any advice as to what I can check next?

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Take a look at the connector that plugs into the motor. the connections on the wires can get burned or eventually get loose. If they are OK, check to see if you have voltage there. it could be the resistor pack if you only have high speed, or the switch in the dash, or a fuse.

·
Registered
164 Posts
add me to the thanx for this post list. my 09 has 140,000 miles, and has started to inttermitantly fail to blow air.......saw this post, had motor out,cleaned,back in, less than 10 minutes:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just tore into my sons girlfriends Smart car. She referred me to this thread. Her motor looked fine but I cleaned and lubed it anyway. On hers the blower would run on high but not on the other speeds. Cleaning and lubing did not help, so I pulled out the resistor unit. The thermal fuse on the end looked like it had been hot and I couldn't read across it with a meter. I temporarily bypassed it with a clip cord, and that fixed the problem. I see Amazon has the resistor unit for less than $20 bucks, so I'll have her order a new one. I just thought I'd add this to an excellent post on fixing the blower motor.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Blower motor is above the gas pedal, all the way up as far as you can feel. Grab the back of the motor and give it a turn till it snaps and the just pull, you can unplug it before or after. It snaps right out. No screws or anything. I cleaned mine up also because it wouldn't run on any speed. On a totally different thread I was looking for a solution and finally found it was a dead positive wire leading to my blower fan. Tried all types of fixes, replacing the fuse, the resistor pack, the switch on the dash nothing fixed it. I fixed the problem by cutting the positive to the fan and wiring the positive to the fan to the positive of the lighter, lighter still works also. The Blue wire leading to the fan is the negative that controls the speeds. The non-blue wire to the fan is the positive, Seems to have resolved the other issues with the fan. I also thought it was the resistor, bought the 20 dollar one off amazon and put it in and still my motor was dead. That's when I decided to test the positive wire and found it was dead, thus leading to the lighter positive for the fan. Now it works just great, no issues.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also experienced my blower fan not working which resulted in my A/C not working. My compressor would click on but no cool air out the vents. For a few months the blower fan motor was making a noise until it finally quit. I removed the motor which is located above the accelerator pedal. I checked for 12 volts at the connector, was good. Next I dissembled the motor , cleaned and lubed it and did a bench test which was good. I reinstalled the motor and now my A/C works great again. I found it strange that the blower motor fan affected the A/C.

·
Registered
252 Posts
New Nissens blower motor

I have had my smart car for 11 years now and the blower motor recently got slower and slower finally crapping out during a heat wave. I cleaned the commutator which got it working for a few weeks only to have it crap out again. Cleaning it again I got a few more days out of it.

I found new blower motors on Rock Auto and Amazon for less than $100 so made life easy and replaced it.

BTW - I use the blower whenever I am driving and drive all year round nearly every day. I have no complaints about the blower or car and just happy that pulling the blower motor is so easy.

Here is a Nissens replacement blower Part 87208 which works great. The only issue was installing it, the square vent was too tight of a fit, so I shaved down the edges on the clockwise and outer sides by a 1/16", just enough to allow me to start to turn it into a locked position.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks! Easy peasy

Thanks for your info and pics. This wasn't even close to as difficult a job as I thought it would be. Disconnected the blower power wires, twisted the motor counterclockwise and out it came. Took off the cover by taking off the one screw. Took off the one white plastic cover. Used my drill to turn it and sand paper to clean it. Put it back together and I've got air blowing in my face again. Cost me nil! Awesome. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any tips for reinstalling the motor? I’m having a tough time aligning it properly. (It’s sitting in the space, but the little square arm isn’t lined up to where it should be).

·
Registered
252 Posts
It is a real pain. Make sure there are no obstructions and that the motor is aligned right - it only goes in on way. A problem I had was one of the square vent was slightly larger than the original and had to trim it down very slightly. If you suspect that is the case, compare the old one with the new one carefully. The symptom of this problem was that the motor would line up with the hole but not turn, hanging up on the thicker vent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is a real pain. Make sure there are no obstructions and that the motor is aligned right - it only goes in on way. A problem I had was one of the square vent was slightly larger than the original and had to trim it down very slightly. If you suspect that is the case, compare the old one with the new one carefully. The symptom of this problem was that the motor would line up with the hole but not turn, hanging up on the thicker vent.
Soon after writing, I noticed a little groove on the car-attached square part and that my motor’s square arm should slide into that groove. Then I just pushed and it slid into alignment! Thanks :D

321 - 339 of 339 Posts