Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one of the other threads it was mentioned that the cab heat during the C&D/preconditioning is based on the heat of the coolant/battery temp. My question is, is our heater coolant based or an electric heating element? I have always assumed it is electric only because I can flip the heater on 85 when the car is cold and the heat is instantly (few seconds) hot.

Am I completely wrong on this?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. That is what I thought. Got a little confused in the other thread when it sounded like the heater utilized the coolant system for the battery.

·
Registered
646 Posts
"In order to heat vehicle interiors and defrost windows of a compact car with hybrid or electric drive during the winter about five kilowatts of energy are required"

Seems like a lot...So in an hour of heating the car you would use up 5 of the 17 kWh's available?

Guess I'm going to buy a set of gloves and a new jacket.

·
Registered
465 Posts
That would only mean it consumes 5kwh at maximum output, which would not occur because even with the temp set on high, it would achieve the temp within a few minutes and then scale back to that which is necessary to maintain that temp.

·
Registered
184 Posts
A lot of guess work going on with regards to how cabin might be warmed with excess heat during the pre-conditioning when using charge and depart.

the discussion regarding use of coolant to heat the cabin, would be during the pre-conditioning phase using the charge and depart setting..... a resistive heater warms the coolant, which circulates around the battery and then through a cabin heat exchanger, where if any heat is left over after warming the battery is available to the cabin.

Since a 120V EVSE can only give you 1.3kW and even a 240V EVSE can only give 2.6kW at 12 A, (or even 3.3kW if supported by the EVSE and the BMS is set accordingly) a 5kW element would need to steal from the HV system during the 30 minute pre-conditioning which would be counter productive to the range maximization intention going on at that time.

I suspect that the cabin heat uses both the coolant and a PTC in a cabin heat exchanger when driving, but only the coolant that has been heated to warm the battery when pre-conditioning is going on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts