Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my heater core has a leak last winter the car would not get warm and I can smell coolest with the heater on. Does anyone know how to access the heater core? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
The entire HVAC assembly is right in the middle of the dash. Look under the dash, that big black box in the middle, that's the HVAC unit. IIRC, there is a panel on the passenger side you can remove to access the heater core & A/C coil.

I don't envy you of that job...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I think my heater core has a leak last winter the car would not get warm and I can smell coolest with the heater on. Does anyone know how to access the heater core? Thanks in advance
Do you think it would be helpful to state what model car you are working on? :shrug:

Look in the passenger footwell on the right side of the center console. There is a plastic cover that one removes to access the pipes to the heater core. The pipes are disconnected from the core and it slides out.

That is not your primary problem. You greater problem is whether you have no heat because the coolant level is low. If so, you likely have air in the cylinder head as well and that needs to be corrected right away before you create an expensive problem for yourself.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Do you think it would be helpful to state what model car you are working on? :shrug:

Look in the passenger footwell on the right side of the center console. There is a plastic cover that one removes to access the pipes to the heater core. The pipes are disconnected from the core and it slides out.

That is not your primary problem. You greater problem is whether you have no heat because the coolant level is low. If so, you likely have air in the cylinder head as well and that needs to be corrected right away before you create an expensive problem for yourself.

Yep, that's pretty much how I remembered it...

It's an easier job than most cars, but still going to make a serious mess changing it...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone know if the Coolant pipe that carries the coolant out of the heater core (#10 in image) connects to the back of the Reservoir at the top (see label #11 in image)? That's what it seems like from videos i've watched[1], but would love it if someone more knowledgeable could confirm.
If the answer is yes, how is it ok for the heater core coolant circuit to be connected well above the MAX line of the reservoir? Intuitively, it seems like it'd be easier to keep air out of the system if all of the circuit is below the reservoir's MIN line.

[1]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts