Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have this problem... I'll be driving along in the smart with the heater on and all of a sudden the heater will start blowing cold. If I move the temp control down then back up it will get warm again. A little while later it will do the same thing. Is this a heater problem? a switch problem? any idea how to fix it cause it's kind of annoying.:confused:

643 Posts
Any one have this problem... I'll be driving along in the smart with the heater on and all of a sudden the heater will start blowing cold. If I move the temp control down then back up it will get warm again. A little while later it will do the same thing. Is this a heater problem? a switch problem? any idea how to fix it cause it's kind of annoying.:confused:
More than likely your climate control system is functioning the way it was designed to. It has "auto" temperature control, meaning that if the temp gets a little too hot it will cool you off, then if it gets too cool it will warm back up. Try turning the A/C button OFF and utilizing the vent air.

If that doesn't solve your problem, you may want to bring your car in for an inspection at your service dept.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mine did the samething this morning! I drove it around town with the heat on and then went into a store..only for a minute. When I started her back up, she was blowing cold air!.....not good when its 30 deg. outside! I moved the vent selector nob around to the front vents and it started blowing hot air again! I don't know what moving the vent selector nob around did.....but it worked! I didn't touch the temp. control at all

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
When the Air Distribution Selector is at Noon Air Distribution Selector.jpg the A/C will come on even if the A/C light doesn't show that it is... :wink:
Refer to the (older) Owner's Manual, page 152-4 or thereabout.
Do not turn the air distribution control permanently to (the Noon) position. The air condition switches on independently of other settings. The indicator lamp on switch 2 then does not come on.
The vehicle’s fuel consumption increases and the driving performance may be influenced.

·
Registered
311 Posts
When the Air Distribution Selector is at Noon View attachment 2512 the A/C will come on even if the A/C light doesn't show that it is... :wink:
Refer to the Owner's Manual, page 152-4 or thereabout.
Mine was set between the noon (defrost) and the floor which is where I usually have it when it went cold after the restart.

643 Posts
Mine was set between the noon (defrost) and the floor which is where I usually have it when it went cold after the restart.
A/C automatically cycles on and off in order to adequately defrost the windshield and side windows. Leaving the vent selector 100% in the face or feet mode is when it will cycle strictly warm or cold air when the a/c button is off. If the a/c button is on, it will cycle warm/cool automatically according to the temperature, and if it's a Pure there is a sort of auto program that is predetermined not being based on the actual temperature inside the car.

There is some intelligence with the climate control systems.

·
Registered
311 Posts
In my instance, the AC button was not pressed. I will see if this is a one time thing ,or it needs a visit to the dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When the Air Distribution Selector is at Noon View attachment 2512 the A/C will come on even if the A/C light doesn't show that it is... :wink:
Refer to the Owner's Manual, page 152-4 or thereabout.
Do not turn the air distribution control permanently to (the Noon) position. The air condition switches on independently of other settings. The indicator lamp on switch 2 then does not come on.
The vehicle’s fuel consumption increases and the driving performance may be influenced.
This does not appear in the Operator's Manual for the 2009 model, part no. 451 584 12 82, Edition B 2009. Perhaps this feature only applies to 2008s.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
This does not appear in the Operator's Manual for the 2009 model, part no. 451 584 12 82, Edition B 2009. Perhaps this feature only applies to 2008s.

I don't know about that !!

You are correct that it's not in the 09 owner's manual, but when I put MY 09 in the 12 o'clock position, I can definitely FEEL the engine working harder as the compressor kicks in :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
hit a bump htr shuts off no fan no anything

i live in maryland and the problem my wife is having with hers is , she hits a medium bump and the fan shuts off then she hits another bump it comes back on usually happens when the bump or pothole or manhole cover is on the right side of the car any idea's we got a service set up for next saturday in annapolis maryland at the dealer , but havent have a great experience with them yet even though we got two smarts we purchased both from mercedes benz /smart of annapolis maryland , but seems like we are treated like one legged step children.:confused::(:smartje.rd.zw::smartje.bl.zw: we love the mechanic he is top notch !! just the service center people are just ok

·
Registered
311 Posts
i live in maryland and the problem my wife is having with hers is , she hits a medium bump and the fan shuts off then she hits another bump it comes back on usually happens when the bump or pothole or manhole cover is on the right side of the car any idea's we got a service set up for next saturday in annapolis maryland at the dealer , but havent have a great experience with them yet even though we got two smarts we purchased both from mercedes benz /smart of annapolis maryland , but seems like we are treated like one legged step children.:confused::(:smartje.rd.zw::smartje.bl.zw: we love the mechanic he is top notch !! just the service center people are just ok
Sounds like a loose connection where the blower motor plugs into the wiring harness.....but that's just my guess.:eek:

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Could be that or bad brushes in the blower motor. I'm afraid I am going to have to clean mine - occasionally I have to slap the underside of the passenger side dash to get it to start. It started this summer and has done it 2 or 3 times.

It's a bit of a drive for you, but Smart Center Germantown's service department is top notch.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies, I never new that the defroster turned on the AC automatically. In my situation the position is set at torso or feet though so may it thinks the cabin is too hot like someone suggested based of the cabin sensor.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The other thing I was thinking is I tend to drive with the top down and the heat on... winters and California get down to 50 sometimes and the heater still does the same cycling which makes me think it isn't the in cabin eye trying to regulate it

·
Registered
38 Posts
at the smart dealer now . am being told $409.00 for a replacement blower motor. thank good ness for the ext warrenty. hopefully there wont be any hidden charges but will keep everyone updated .just a quick question ?? DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY SMARTS IN THE JUNKYARDS IN THE AREA ? SURE WOULD NOT MIND TRYING TO GET SOME SPARE PARTS FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME [email protected] .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts