Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lusting after a Smart for years and am so glad a version of one has finally arrived.

I'm wondering if anyone out there manages to get a cello in theirs?? I haven't had a chance to test this yet and need to before I make the plunge.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
672 Posts
As a former cellist my guess would be no, unless you lower the back of the passenger seat and put it in that way (or get a Cabriolet and stand it up somehow). I'd take the cello in to a dealer and try it out though. I could be wrong. My sister used to be a high school orchestra teacher and it was amazing the number of instruments she could get into a Honda Civic. Good luck!

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Hope it works, sincerely! And if it does, be sure to post a picture, it'll make the "front" page for sure...
And welcome, taximouse!

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
as a 'betting man', my guess is YES. with the passenger seat folding 'flat', i would think that you could get it in with the neck (is that the correct term?) facing forward, towards the floor under the dash. this, if it fits this way, would not obscure your right side vision as putting it in the opposite way would.

like "JPaul" said....Post a Pic!!!! hey, if they can get a clothes dryer in one, why not a cello? :D

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well, my pal, Roverallover gets his 6'6" surfboard in his smart with the passenger seat folded flat so I would wager a yes guess. I, too, would love to see a photo of this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
it will fit

Get a Cabrio

Put tail gate down.
Put back of top up.
Put right seat back down.
Slide neck of cello in first.
Fine fit!
Smart fit:D

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
google is your friend:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/living/2004280964_smartfortwo14.html

"Over four days, I threw everything its way — a 6-foot-4 nephew, 8-foot cross-country-skis, a cello, groceries and two claustrophobes (one at a time.)

Its design is deceptive: It looks like passengers should be horribly cramped, yet they aren't. It's like Narnia's wardrobe, a seemingly small space that widens upon entry.

The stuff was accommodated; the people, impressed."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you're right, i should just take the cello and accompanying equipment in with me to the dealer. fingers crossed.

thanks for the advice and the hilarious comments.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
>I measured for my upright bass. I think I can get it in the car.

that would be pretty cool. I know I can get my Ashbory bass in there ;-)

·
Registered
200 Posts
As a former cellist my guess would be no, unless you lower the back of the passenger seat and put it in that way (or get a Cabriolet and stand it up somehow). I'd take the cello in to a dealer and try it out though. I could be wrong. My sister used to be a high school orchestra teacher and it was amazing the number of instruments she could get into a Honda Civic. Good luck!
My daughter carries her 5'10" surfboard in the back of her 2015 Brabus, with the passenger seat folded down flat. You would have to put it in neck 1st and set it on the dash before the windshield. I would suspect the waist of the a cello should fit in the trunk area...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts