Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Julie and my Hubby and I are going to be travelling in our RV this fall for the first post retirement trip for 5 months. We need a toad to pull behind the RV. We want something that will fill our weight requirements <3000 lbs and be easy to tow. So we are looking at a smart car. We noticed in motorhome magazine (dingy towing annual version) that the 2012 is the first year NOT authorized for towing but we found a 2012 in great shape AND already set up so I am looking for advice. Can we actually still tow the 2012, without problems. I know have it in neutral, battery disconnect and bungee cord the steering but why was the 2012 no longer on the acceptable list. Should I go with an earlier version. I'd prefer not too as the one I'm looking at is ready to go. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Tanks
Julie

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Go for it!! Be aware that with the battery disconnected, you may have to re-teach the transmission. Only takes a minute or so, but make sure you know how.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for taking the time and helping me out and I certainly believe you but what would be the reason it stopped being "recommended" in 2012? It was fine to flat tow (according to motorhome magazine) in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 and then not in 2012?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, I've been reading some very helpful posts here that have gone through the procedure. Appreciate the assistance

·
Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
In the 451 discussion forum, there is a section on towing. You can probably get some useful info in that subforum.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 12,200 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 1,200 miles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts