Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 smart fortwo, the middle one with panoramic sunroof and it's the best car I've ever owned.

I had an oil change done at a place where I had tires put on the same car a couple months ago. They offered to rotate the tires because it was free for the life of the tires. I drove a total of about 14 miles before getting it back in to figure out why the car was now wobbling left and right and the traction control kicked in twice around turns on clean, dry pavement. They had rotated them around mis-matching the large and small tires.

MY QUESTION: Should I be concerned that my vehicle or tires may be damaged from this?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
28,251 Posts
:welcome: to SCoA! :)

Yes. The stock tires on a smart cannot be rotated. The place that did this is liable for any damage; I'd have the car evaluated by a smart center if there's one nearby, or another reputable shop.

·
Registered
511 Posts
For even the simplest things you are better off to insist on being present while the work is done. Smarts are different and most non dealership (and sadly many dealerships as well) don't know how to maintenance or work on them. Something as simple as changing the oil can be beyond the ablility of a regular shop. Sad but true.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Something like this won't have damaged the vehicle. The brake applications that the stability-control system was using in a futile attempt to get the rear wheels to slow down relative to the front might have worn the brakes a little bit (that's what you felt!) but no more than normal driving would have done.

Obviously, you've found out the hard way that the stock wheels and tires on these cars are dedicated to each end of the car, and if directional tires are installed (a lot of them are ...) there is only one correct corner of the car that each wheel/tire assembly can be installed ... No tire rotations!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Car should be fine, just have them put the tires back correctly. Smaller tires on the front. Make sure tire pressure is right, 29F and 36R. Be care on the lugbolts torque to 80, most cars are much higher and many shops do not know this. Can cause bent rotor or stripped hubs.

·
17,353 Posts
I can say from experience that they put the fronts on the back!

When I had Discount Tyre install those bloody awful WS60s they somehow managed to put one of the front wheels in the rear. On the way home it tracked like a Ford E-Series that's in desperate need of an alignment! :eek:

They acknowledged their error, fixed it, then refunded the mounting price. :cool:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Does this mean I can expect the same if I ever use my "front" spare on the rear? (Hope not). Just measured them, they have the same diameter. So what gives? Has anyone ever used their front spare on the rear, and was it undrivable?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts