Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

It's great to have a forum where we can discuss the Smart car
I'm seriously considering buying a new Smart Car Fortwo. I read the sticky at the top of this forum and that OP is somewhat similar to me.

Just to give you some background about me, I love small cars. I've owned a Geo Metro, a Toyota Yaris, and my current car is a Fiat 500.

I really like the Fortwo's styling and its compactness. What I find dismaying about it is its lackluster fuel economy. For such a small car, it seems like its miles-per-gallon (MPG) is a bit low to compare to other cars. My Fiat is rated at 39 MPG highway, but I get over 40 and even as much as 45 MPG on the highway. My Geo Metro always got over 50 miles to the gallon. Does anyone get over the rated mileage for their Fortwo?

The other concern of mine is about the longevity of the car. How reliable are they and how many miles should one expect to put on them before they die?

One final question, what is the difference between the Fortwo Pure and the Fortwo Passion?

I anticipate getting a new car before the year is over, and I'm stuck between getting another Fiat 500 or a Fortwo.

Thanks again. I'm really glad I found this forum.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Fuel economy numbers can be found on Fuelly.com

All your other questions have been answered previously in other threads.

·
17,479 Posts
Does anyone get over the rated mileage for their Fortwo?

The other concern of mine is about the longevity of the car. How reliable are they and how many miles should one expect to put on them before they die?

One final question, what is the difference between the Fortwo Pure and the Fortwo Passion?
Welcome to our absolutely insane asylum! Hope you find warmth and happiness here. :)

To answer your questions:

1. I regularly get in the mid 40s along with many others here. It's also not too hard to get into 50 mpg if you drive with a light foot and/or strategize.

2. They should last you about as long as you're willing to keep up the maintenance on it. I personally have 132,000 miles on one of my smarts and it's survived an engine fire, towed a heavy trailer, and other colourful events. There are a number of members with many more miles, much of them without issue.

3. The pure has less features than the passion. Usually the passion will have more "luxury" options as well as more "sporty" options. Basically, the pure is as bare bones as you can be with a smart, two spoke wheel, no shift paddles, solid roof, steel wheels, and so on.

Reactions: JEOSmart

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a 2008 451 Passion model with paddle shifters. It made the ride so much more fun than driving it in automatic. Got 185,000 miles (300,000 km) before it was time to trade it for a 453 manual.
The 453 is so much better but the 451 was very good as well. Good Luck in your decision and welcome.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
The OP didn't mention whether he's looking at a 451- or 453-generation smart. It can make a pretty big difference in answering his fuel economy question.

The 453 is prone to suffering much lower MPGs in short-distance urban driving, often a disappointing mid-to-upper 20s under those conditions. Probably due to turbo characteristics. Freeway MPGs were 42-46 MPG typically.

My 451 would always deliver between 37-41 MPG, even when driven like a bat out of hell. High-40s were no problem at relaxed cruising speeds.

From my years on Fiat forums, it seems generally easier to get consistently good numbers on the 500. Even my Abarth had a lifetime average of over 32 MPG, with every tank hand-calculated and tracked.

·
17,479 Posts
I don't think I could own an Abarth, I would need to have a tyre truck follow me everywhere because I'd be having too much fun. :D

The 453 also suffers in the MPG regardless of your driving style as well. The engine apparently pumps excess fuel into itself for cooling.

Exclusive: Carmakers forced back to bigger engines in new emissions era | Reuters

In real-driving conditions, the French carmaker's 0.9-litre gasoline H4Bt injects excess fuel to prevent overheating, resulting in high emissions of unburned hydrocarbons, fine particles and carbon monoxide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyone, for your responses.

The only thing I know about the Fortwo is that they are divided into the Pure and the Passion models. I'm not sure what is meant by the 451 and 453 generations. I don't find it mentioned on dealer's websites.

I'm definitely keeping the Fiat. I'd just like something new and different when i buy a new car later this year, and the Fortwo has always intrigued me.

·
17,479 Posts
Understandable, the 453 petrol variant was just killed off, so of course it would be carted off without a funeral.

Anyway, this orange one here is a 453, while the blue one is a 451. The 453 is newer and improves upon the 451 in many ways!

Edit: Bleh, I thought I figured out a way to get around Photobucket's stupid hosting limit.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Great pictures Miss Mercedes. I just sent Photobucket an e-mail to cancel my account. They can have all my pics, I kept copies on my laptop, so nothing is lost. Would you share your photbucket secret? Please, pretty please?

Also to JEOSmart, the last 451 was made in 2015 so the chances of finding a new 451 is slim unless you find an unsold electric version on a dealer lot. From 2016 to 2017 is the latest model , the 453. That last gasoline powered 453 rolled off the assembly line last April, so if you want a new gas powered 453, you'd better act quickly. Smart is only going to sell the electric versions of the 453 in the United States and Canada. DCO

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Miss Mercedes do you realize you have almost 16,000 posts to your credit? That's astounding. I've been here 2 years next month and I have posted alot and only have 750. I'm so jealous. (LOL) DCO

·
17,479 Posts
Great pictures Miss Mercedes. I just sent Photobucket an e-mail to cancel my account. They can have all my pics, I kept copies on my laptop, so nothing is lost. Would you share your photbucket secret? Please, pretty please?
Thank you! :D

For whatever reason, the direct linking function was still working for me (take the raw URL, then manually add SCoA's "IMG" tags to it) but they patched that up too. So now if I want to post any picture from Photobucket, I have to download the picture, post it to my diary or my Flickr, then link back to SCoA. The 453 is from my diary entry in which Phil got tint and the 451 pic is from my Iowa rally/breakup entry.

Or I just give up and use SCoA's upload tool, which I very much don't like...

Miss Mercedes do you realize you have almost 16,000 posts to your credit? That's astounding. I've been here 2 years next month and I have posted alot and only have 750. I'm so jealous. (LOL) DCO
I do! :x

I joined this place when I was 15. I kept learning and posting, learning and posting and here we are today. :)

Fun fact: Due to my irrational love and knowledge for smart, I eventually had a close relationship with the folks at PAG and some people that were in the PAG to MB USA transition team. As such, at one point I was given an entire packet's worth of information about the facelifted 2011+ 451s, 6 months before the dealers would even see the same materials. I think I "leaked" them here. :)

I also had the chance to meet the then President of smart USA (Jill L) at the Chicago Auto Show in 2011...but goodie two shoes me decided that I couldn't play hookie from school.

Reactions: DreamCarOwner

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Also to JEOSmart, the last 451 was made in 2015 so the chances of finding a new 451 is slim unless you find an unsold electric version on a dealer lot. From 2016 to 2017 is the latest model , the 453. That last gasoline powered 453 rolled off the assembly line last April, so if you want a new gas powered 453, you'd better act quickly. Smart is only going to sell the electric versions of the 453 in the United States and Canada. DCO
Do you think that Smart is angling to phase out gasoline models altogether?

·
17,479 Posts
Worldwide? Not likely. Sales are pretty healthy everywhere else and some markets are exploding for smart, like China. If anything, after the Dieselgate business blows over I wouldn't be surprised if the diesel made a comeback.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Worldwide? Not likely. Sales are pretty healthy everywhere else and some markets are exploding for smart, like China. If anything, after the Dieselgate business blows over I wouldn't be surprised if the diesel made a comeback.
No, I'm talking specifically about the United States. I'm rather worried that they are phasing out gasoline cars.

·
17,479 Posts
Oh, yes that's already happening. :/

Early this year Reuters (or some other news organization) obtained a leaked document that smart was shutting down sales of the petrol model in the USA and Canada. Apparently it was something Mercedes-Benz NA has been planning since the 453 released in America. Well, after the document got leaked smart USA came clean and confirmed the leak to be true.

The target date for the end of petrol sales is slated for about September, that's when they figure remaining stock will run out. From September and onward, smart will only be an EV brand in the US and Canada. Stock is already running low so if you want a new 453 with a petrol engine now is your chance.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,569 Posts
She has a way to go to get #1 internet poster......there is a moderator over on the Corvette forum with just over 242,000 posts. :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, yes that's already happening. :/

Early this year Reuters (or some other news organization) obtained a leaked document that smart was shutting down sales of the petrol model in the USA and Canada. Apparently it was something Mercedes-Benz NA has been planning since the 453 released in America. Well, after the document got leaked smart USA came clean and confirmed the leak to be true.

The target date for the end of petrol sales is slated for about September, that's when they figure remaining stock will run out. From September and onward, smart will only be an EV brand in the US and Canada. Stock is already running low so if you want a new 453 with a petrol engine now is your chance.
Wow. Thanks for the information. I'm not sure that I want to buy a car that is being immediately phased out. I don't know how long the parts supply will last. I guess I'll stick with Fiat. This is very disappointing to find out.

·
17,479 Posts
You're welcome! :)

The good news is that Mercedes-Benz is really good with stocking parts for a very very long time (decades in some situations). The bad news is that those parts aren't cheap and likely will increase in price as time rolls on...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts