Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Bought the 2009 Fortwo Brabus coupe a little over a month ago, and it's been the vehicle of choice for all of our around-town driving. My wife and I are considering driving from Las Vegas, NV to Kalispell, MT in the next couple of weeks.

We've never done any distance driving in the Smart, and certainly not on any mountainous roads. Any recommendations for this type of driving with a Smart? Will we have difficulties making it up long, steep grades?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
The only advice re: hills is to downshift when you start the steep inclines. The joy of having manual override on the transmission means you can probably stay in 4th gear up the tough slopes. I had trouble keeping 70mph in 4th up the 6%+ grades from Oregon to California so I stayed at high revs in 3rd gear at 65mph. I much prefer 4th. Others were rock-solid in 4th at 70mph. It may have been the 112º heat for me, running my AC while ascending.

·
Registered
6 Posts
trip

i have 2006 benz turo smart & a 6 speed but i went to bristol ten. and i had no trubble in the hills and averged 56.5 mpg .like they said just down shift you will be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.