Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took ownership of a 2014 off-lease Cabriolet. It's awesome to say the least!
I am currently interested in obtaining service and/or wiring diagram info if it can be located?
I know from some brief searching it's dear to come by, and it appears the couple sellers on Ebay are scam artists.
Does anybody have such info to share? I want to build a supplemental generator to extend driving range for those more distant trips.
We just don't have enough charging stations yet here in the US. Thoughts?
Thanks again, and hello to the group!:)

·
Super Moderator
1,606 Posts
Congrats and welcome. Where in the US are you? Do you know about ChargePoint and PlugShare?

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Len thanks, yes I am aware of both of those, have installed them, very helpful. My level 2 charger isn't here yet, but on the road refuels would be super time consuming no? Like 3-4 hours even with a level 2 charger?

·
Registered
116 Posts
You might want to repost your question in the ED forum.

I also recall a recent thread on just your topic and that it wouldn't be very economical to lug around an external generator.

Full charge from 0 to 100% on a level 2 charger takes not quite 5.5 hours. The 120V-EVSE takes about ~14 hrs at 12A (4 LEDs) and somewhere near ~20-22 hrs on 8A (2 LEDs).

Simply take the battery's capacity (17.6 kWh) and divide by the power drawn/provided by each charging option:

• 3.3 kW: Level 2,
  • 1.3 kW: 12 A 120V-EVSE,
  • 0.8 kW: 8 A 120V-EVSE.
E.g. 17.6 kWh / 3.3 kW = 5.3 hrs

I think, if you plan on doing a lot of long-distance driving, you bought the wrong car. The ED is simply not suited for that. It's a commuter vehicle at best. A very fun one though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's a runaround town, car for me, a third vehicle in a family of 2 drivers, so it's fine. I am just exploring options for those times I need to run across the state just beyond normal range.

·
Super Moderator
1,606 Posts
I had to take my car to the dealer which was 160 miles away. Took me about 14 hours with two charging stops along the way. Normal driving time there is about 4 hours max. Ours is an around town car for us too and we absolutely love it for that.

Len
2014 EV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts