Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has had two SMART cars. The first one was t-boned by a young driver that drove through a stop sign at 50-60MPH. Everyone was good and so my wife purchased a second one. She loves the car. But now we are having a mechanical issue. The motor for the radiator cooling fan seems to be toast. We do not have a stealership in Columbia that sells or fixes them, and I am not sure I can make it to Charleston or Charlotte. Does anyone know anyone local that will fix them? This is probably an easy fix if you have the lift and the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately, I have googled it. And there is a thread on this site about the problem and it requires a complete tear down of the front end, and the removal of coolant and A/C. I have the ability to do the work but I just do not have the time and time is one thing I can not get more of.

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
This thread is three years old. Wonder what the outcome was?

Nice to hear a good report about the Charleston dealership. They didn't make a very good first impression with me. When I was looking to buy my first Smart electric, I spoke with a rep on the phone and told her I was concerned about being able to get the car home, since I am about 120 miles away. I was hoping that maybe she would offer to have it delivered to me, but instead she told me that I could stop halfway home and fill the car up with gas and I'd be fine.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 17,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 9,500 miles

·
Registered
6 Posts
Len, I live in the Wilmington area and am in the process of buying a 2008 Smart Car and want to get cruise control. Do you know of a good and trusted Smart mechanic or two in the area (not a dealership). Doug

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Len, I live in the Wilmington area and am in the process of buying a 2008 Smart Car and want to get cruise control. Do you know of a good and trusted Smart mechanic or two in the area (not a dealership). Doug
Doug - can't help you. I've never needed anyone to work on either of my Smarts, but I did have one warranty issue. Closest dealer to you/me is Cary or Charleston - long way away and I doubt a dealer would install cruise anyway.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 17,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 10,000 miles

·
Premium Member
7,596 Posts
I live in the Wilmington area and am in the process of buying a 2008 Smart Car and want to get cruise control. Do you know of a good and trusted Smart mechanic or two ...
You don’t indicate how many miles are on the 10 year old smart that you are “in the process of buying.” Private party or pre-owned dealer?

Bear in mind that smart is very much a niche car and as such can become quite a challenge for the mechanic who has never seen one.

FREE ADVICE - some of the questions that you have probably need to be “settled” BEFORE writing that check???

Most EURO qualified mechanics with the proper M-B computer/software can work on a smart. How many in Wilmington might meet that criteria, who knows? May want to do a search of the local mechanics and call them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reply to MB DNA

You don’t indicate how many miles are on the 10 year old smart that you are “in the process of buying.” Private party or pre-owned dealer?

Bear in mind that smart is very much a niche car and as such can become quite a challenge for the mechanic who has never seen one.

FREE ADVICE - some of the questions that you have probably need to be “settled” BEFORE writing that check???

Most EURO qualified mechanics with the proper M-B computer/software can work on a smart. How many in Wilmington might meet that criteria, who knows? May want to do a search of the local mechanics and call them?
Hello, This is an unusual site. It doesn't seem to initially give a "reply" option. I guess you have to hit "quote" first, then reply. Anyway, to answer your questions: The miles are VERY low, and the price is VERY low. I am happy in both regards. And I have never bought a car new or used from a dealer. I just don't do that for many reasons. And your point about the Smart Car being a "niche" vehicle is a good one, and the exact reason I am on here soaking up info from the pros like you. I am trying to weigh the "niche" factor versus the smoking good deal I am staring at right now. I've got a lot of high maintenance hobbies in my life right now. Not sure I want another one. But I am very drawn to this car. Not sure why! But this is precisely how I get in deep just about every time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts