Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my, new to me, 2011 Smart on Monday! Can't wait! A lot of my friends are making fun of me for buying it. Telling me to give them my man card. Couldn't care less about that. I like the Smart and it's a great deal too! Besides... my man card is intact with my 2010 Jeep Wrangler and my 1969 Mach 1 Mustang :wink: :cool:

Marc

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possible bad news. Dealer I am buying the car from on Monday just called. They had to take the Smart into Mercedes because the check engine light came on. Mercedes said it's going to be a couple days, after Christmas. I asked what the warranty work was and he said HEAD GASKET! Little nervous now. I know it will be fixed... but could this be the beginning of a lemon?

It's a 2011 Passion with just under 24,000 miles on it.

Would love some words of encouragement.......

Marc

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,219 Posts
There are plenty of used smarts on the market. If it were me, I would keep looking. The car will be repaired and probably offer no other trouble, but it will always be in the back of your mind something else will go wrong.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are plenty of used smarts on the market. If it were me, I would keep looking. The car will be repaired and probably offer no other trouble, but it will always be in the back of your mind something else will go wrong.

There is a 2008 Passion with 51,000 on it I was looking at too. Maybe that one is a better way to go even though this one is a 2011 with half the miles

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,219 Posts
In buying a used car, my motto has always been "Buy the newest, lowest milage car I can afford".
I don't know what part of the country you are in, but there are many smarts with less than 51,000 available. Have you looked on EBay?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In buying a used car, my motto has always been "Buy the newest, lowest milage car I can afford".
I don't know what part of the country you are in, but there are many smarts with less than 51,000 available. Have you looked on EBay?

I'm in CT. Been looking for a few months and with the price range I'm in, there just aren't a ton out there. NJ or Mass are the closest I've found. Test drove one in CT but he wouldn't budge on the price.

·
Registered
511 Posts
All I can say is hang in there. I got mine for $4900. Has run perfectly since right after I got her I had the tranny patch put in. She has just over 100k and I drive her to work 35 miles one way every day and she has run perfectly. Also with ultra guage has never gone below 39mpg-usually 41mpg. My point is that higher mileage is not necessarily a deal breaker.
There are '08 smarts as low as 4900 (saw a good one on Craigslist-she's moving to Chigago-can't have a car) and you can get a good one for around 8k all day long. Hang in there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
All I can say is hang in there. I got mine for $4900. Has run perfectly since right after I got her I had the tranny patch put in. She has just over 100k and I drive her to work 35 miles one way every day and she has run perfectly. Also with ultra guage has never gone below 39mpg-usually 41mpg. My point is that higher mileage is not necessarily a deal breaker.
There are '08 smarts as low as 4900 (saw a good one on Craigslist-she's moving to Chigago-can't have a car) and you can get a good one for around 8k all day long. Hang in there.

I drive 41 miles one way to get to work too. I like everything about the 2008 one except its 2.5 hours away lol. I did want as little miles as possible on it seeing how I put 25K a year on my car

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Welcome. Are you doing this to save money with the gas mileage the car gets. repairs can eat up any savings in a very short time. I love mine, but it has bled me a few times.
Parts are not available at every NAPA store. I have been to a couple of good dealers one in Ohio the other in Rhode Island. If you are willing to live with an exotic this is the car for you. There are lots of economical cars out there that are comfortable for long hauls. Very few as polarizing as a smart.
Welcome to the fold.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hi marc:

As other SCOA folks have said, please continue shopping for a decent smartie. Your buds are trying to help, yet they have no clue about AZ, CO, NV, NM, CA, where off highway really counts. The "man card" is being able to be a fair good educated dude.

Nuff said to your buds.

Welcome to SCOA.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to go with the 2008 that has 51K on it. It has everything I want, including the color. Mileage is a little higher than I wanted, but at my price range, it is what it is. :) Going on Monday to check it out.

Thx everyone for the help and comments.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to go with the 2008 that has 51K on it. It has everything I want, including the color. Mileage is a little higher than I wanted, but at my price range, it is what it is. :) Going on Monday to check it out.

Thx everyone for the help and comments.

BOUGHT! Nice 2.5 hour ride home last night!

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
If you can shift into and out of manual mode using the steering wheel paddles it has the software update; if not, it needs it. Original batteries on the 08s were too weak and were replaced by smart. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll have to check once I'm driving it again. It's sitting now until I get the exhaust from the dealer after Christmas.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine did change from D to 1 hitting the right side shifter. Guess they upgraded it.

Thx jwight

1 - 19 of 19 Posts