Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be the first one in my town of approx. 18,000 to drive/own a SMART CAR FORTWO!

My good friend, Tammy, and I will be traveling to Seattle to conduct some other business; however, while we are there I will seek out the Smart Center down by SouthCenter Mall and test drive a Smartie!

I will be sure to take plenty of pictures and video... When Tammy and I are together, it's nothing but GOOD TIMES and LOTSA' LAUGHS!

I was speaking to a woman the other night who insisted that I could just "go to Canada and purchase a Smart Car there. A diesel one versus gas, no less...." Does anyone know if this is true? Can I really just hop on a ferry to Canada, buy a diesel Smart Car Fortwo and bring it home to the States? Doesn't the EPA, DOT and G&K have something to say about that? Would I be able to register it? Get it insured??

I'm thinking I might just play it safe and just buy one here, in the States when it's my turn....

Nice to be here, ya'll! K:):D

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
I just worry about service! What happens when you need factory parts and expertise?

Because of the disconnection from the lower 48, it would seem reasonable that Alaska has rules that make it easier to get vehicles from Canada. I'd suggest calling your Division of Motor Vehicles to discuss the issue.

You might also find a closer Canadian dealership to find out if they'd service your Seattle-purchased Smart. That sure could make life easier! But since that dealer wouldn't be part of the SmartUSA network, I'm not sure if there would be any warranty work provided free of charge.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts