Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello From Pasadena, CA (UPDATE!!!!!! :)...)

Hi all! I'm here doing research on the Smart car. I'm deciding if I want to lease the electric version.

I'm researching all over about saftey, range, insurance costs, at home electrical charging costs, and the things I should consider/negotiate when leasing.

I'm hoping to find a lot of answers to my questions here.

Thank you for reading. Good Day.

Cher

---------------------------------------------------
Update:

I am proud to say that I am now official.... I got myself a Smart EV :D:D:D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hello CherDeed. I don't have an ED Smart, but I love my ICE (although I would not mind having an ED).

Welcome to the forums neighbor (I am in San Gabriel right off San Gabriel BLVD).

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
The biggest downside to the ED versus the ICE smart is that you will not be able to participate in any smart events farther from home than 45 miles, max.
...and you really don't want to miss out on those. You meet the nicest people at a smart rally.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Leasing an ED would be one of the greatest decisions you could ever make.

The car is a complete blast to drive. It's the best smart yet. Range varies from as low as 50 to as high as 90, but average (normal driving) is around 60-70 miles per charge so if your commute is shorter than that the car will be perfect for you... but it's best to have a second car just in case, although i haven't ran into any problems needing another car.

And you may think that isnt a lot of range compared to gas cars being able to go 300-500 miles on a tank but it really is plenty for daily driving, majority of people don't drive more than 50 miles a day.

Regarding safety, the ED is actually a little more safer than its gas sibling thanks to its battery pack placement in the middle underneath the floorboard (for some... good reason)

The Coupe has 8 airbags standard and the Cabriolet has 6.

But overall safety is not an issue at all in a smart. You will never not feel safe when driving. You'll be too busy enjoying the instant torque, smooth acceleration and quietness than worrying about "being safe". You are extremely safe in your tiny car. And the fact that the smart is under 9 feet makes it a much harder target to hit in the event of a collision depending on where the car is coming from. No front end and no rear end is a good thing. And the small crumple zones the car has hold up surprisingly well.

Here are some videos of ED crash tests

Note: Likeliness of getting into an accident while paying attention on the road is very slim :D

Oh and charging costs... about 17 cents per hour to charge. Very, cheap. :cool:

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
The biggest downside to the ED versus the ICE smart is that you will not be able to participate in any smart events farther from home than 45 miles, max.
...and you really don't want to miss out on those. You meet the nicest people at a smart rally.
No, but there is enough distance for the OP to make it to Porto's. As far as I am concerned, no need to go farther. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Maybe I can trip plan? :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello CherDeed. I don't have an ED Smart, but I love my ICE (although I would not mind having an ED).

Welcome to the forums neighbor (I am in San Gabriel right off San Gabriel BLVD).

Hello neighbor!!! I frequent that area a lot. I'm near Colorado Blvd.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot for the information! This site has been wonderful for researching. I read a lot of posts in the safety forum and I feel confident with this car's safety.

I actually have a second car that I paid off years ago. I'll be using that car as well.... I do travel far to work, a round trip is 54 miles (27 miles one way). My plan is to park at the near by Carls Jr. (free charging) at lunch and walk back to work. I'll get it after work. I called and asked if this was possible and the manager told me yes. My range problem is solved.

Now I'm working out the pros and cons of leasing. I'm researching on what is a good deal and what is to be expected during the contract negotiation part. This will be my first time leasing a car.

My main concern is the fact that the home that I live in has old wiring... Microwave and dryer on at the same time = circuit break lol... so I have to find out if I can charge my car here. :confused:

I'm hoping that I can charge here with out having to re-wire or anything like that.

Thank for the info.

Cher

Leasing an ED would be one of the greatest decisions you could ever make.

The car is a complete blast to drive. It's the best smart yet. Range varies from as low as 50 to as high as 90, but average (normal driving) is around 60-70 miles per charge so if your commute is shorter than that the car will be perfect for you... but it's best to have a second car just in case, although i haven't ran into any problems needing another car.

And you may think that isnt a lot of range compared to gas cars being able to go 300-500 miles on a tank but it really is plenty for daily driving, majority of people don't drive more than 50 miles a day.

Regarding safety, the ED is actually a little more safer than its gas sibling thanks to its battery pack placement in the middle underneath the floorboard (for some... good reason)

The Coupe has 8 airbags standard and the Cabriolet has 6.

But overall safety is not an issue at all in a smart. You will never not feel safe when driving. You'll be too busy enjoying the instant torque, smooth acceleration and quietness than worrying about "being safe". You are extremely safe in your tiny car. And the fact that the smart is under 9 feet makes it a much harder target to hit in the event of a collision depending on where the car is coming from. No front end and no rear end is a good thing. And the small crumple zones the car has hold up surprisingly well.

Here are some videos of ED crash tests

2013 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive | Frontal Crash Test by NHTSA | CrashNet1 - YouTube

2013 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive | Side Crash Test by NHTSA | CrashNet1 - YouTube

Note: Likeliness of getting into an accident while paying attention on the road is very slim :D

Oh and charging costs... about 17 cents per hour to charge. Very, cheap. :cool:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hello neighbor!!! I frequent that area a lot. I'm near Colorado Blvd.

I drive a Jeep as well for my second car. If I would have known then what I know now, I would have most likely gone with the electric smart. I work in Burbank, so being able to cruise in the HOV lane M-F would be awesome.

I live in an old house as well, and fear the electric thing too. I have glass fuses. The smart ED though, I believe has its charging on board, you just need to plug it into a 110 outlet, which is your normal everyday outlet.

I may pay this smart off and get an electric if I can still get the gov and state money.

I can say this much. I have been poked fun of at work, guys lol at it etc etc. But people with an open mind get it. I go out to lunch often with a female coworker who has a VW GTI and she prefers if I drive. The smart is so amazing at finding parking its not even funny. I took her to the airport on Friday, her giant suit case fit fine in the trunk area, and so did her hand bag, my satchel and still had some room. We both felt the smart was a great car to deal with LAX.

My purchase of the car and to fuel it each month cost the same as it did just to fuel my Jeep. If I put 6 tanks of gas in the Jeep for the month (always use 5), the smart actually comes out cheaper.

I love my smart. I think the Jeep has been started 4 times and driven 2 times now in 5 months. It just does not make sense to drive it when the car gets better mileage and is easier to maneuver in the city.

Anyway, I can ramble on and on...love the car, enough said.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
My brother couldn't resist the smart EV. Knowing I have mine and I'm obviously affiliated, he couldn't pass up the opportunity. The car was sold to him with the HOV stickers already on it and paid for previous to his ownership. He's always sending me random texts about how he loves the HOV access on the 405 freeway between Westwood and the San Fernando Valley.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have an Altima for my second. I'm really excited about getting a Smart ED. At this point I'm hoping all the financial aspects of obtaining one fit my budget. I've been on this site and others for 2 days researching on my free time.

I had the same thing happen to me at work lol.... now when I talk about it, they all want me to give them a ride around in it... I'm going to be so popular if I get one. My boss wants first dibs... he is a huge Samoan guy, he is at least 6'2 lol.

This car fits me perfect. It's just me and my 2 dogs. I hardly use the trunk or back seat of my Altima. This car will be my commuter to and from work about 80% of the time. The best part about my test drive was the feeling of being in a regular car. Super awesome. :D

I'm going to find out this week if I can budget it. I'm so excited!

I drive a Jeep as well for my second car. If I would have known then what I know now, I would have most likely gone with the electric smart. I work in Burbank, so being able to cruise in the HOV lane M-F would be awesome.

I live in an old house as well, and fear the electric thing too. I have glass fuses. The smart ED though, I believe has its charging on board, you just need to plug it into a 110 outlet, which is your normal everyday outlet.

I may pay this smart off and get an electric if I can still get the gov and state money.

I can say this much. I have been poked fun of at work, guys lol at it etc etc. But people with an open mind get it. I go out to lunch often with a female coworker who has a VW GTI and she prefers if I drive. The smart is so amazing at finding parking its not even funny. I took her to the airport on Friday, her giant suit case fit fine in the trunk area, and so did her hand bag, my satchel and still had some room. We both felt the smart was a great car to deal with LAX.

My purchase of the car and to fuel it each month cost the same as it did just to fuel my Jeep. If I put 6 tanks of gas in the Jeep for the month (always use 5), the smart actually comes out cheaper.

I love my smart. I think the Jeep has been started 4 times and driven 2 times now in 5 months. It just does not make sense to drive it when the car gets better mileage and is easier to maneuver in the city.

Anyway, I can ramble on and on...love the car, enough said.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update ---- Got an EV Last Night

Hey guys!

I'm enjoying being part of the group of people who own a Smart Car. Thanks to this forum and Kamaal the Brand manager @ West Covina, CA Smart for all of the info. I was able to make a informed decision.

I got an EV in Deep Black with Red Accent... I feel like a star lol. I will post pictures later today when I'm off of work.

Cher

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hey guys!

I'm enjoying being part of the group of people who own a Smart Car. Thanks to this forum and Kamaal the Brand manager @ West Covina, CA Smart for all of the info. I was able to make a informed decision.

I got an EV in Deep Black with Red Accent... I feel like a star lol. I will post pictures later today when I'm off of work.

Cher

nice :cool: :wink:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Woot!!!!

IF you see a silver on silver smart with silver wheels (I just ordered Team Dynamics 16x6 and 16x7.5 with 195/45/16 and 215/40/16's for the smart) wave. I will be looking out for the red and black ED. :D

Grats! Kammal is a great guy...one of those people I would hang out with if life/time/distance permitted. He's and honest and genuine guy.

Hey guys!

Cher

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome!! I will look out for you!

Woot!!!!

IF you see a silver on silver smart with silver wheels (I just ordered Team Dynamics 16x6 and 16x7.5 with 195/45/16 and 215/40/16's for the smart) wave. I will be looking out for the red and black ED. :D

Grats! Kammal is a great guy...one of those people I would hang out with if life/time/distance permitted. He's and honest and genuine guy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts