Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove a '97 Nissan Pickup for 15 years. It was stolen once, broken into 3 times, 1st time they stole the radio and destroyed the dash doing so. Never got the dash repaired, never replaced the radio.
Had the catalytic converter stolen and a rock thrown at the windshield that made a hole the size of a baseball. Had the usual wear and tear as in brakes replaced, muffler etc. Water pump, radiator were replaced and all belts and hoses replaced every 5 years.
Finally the A/C compressor went, cost to replace including labor, about $600. Looked up trade in value on Edmunds and it was $667.
Had been looking at the Smart Fortwo Pure Coupe for a year. Mechanic that had worked on the truck the whole time I owned it offered $1,000 for it. I think I got my money's worth out of the Nissan and when the repairs start to cost the same as the value of the vehicle it's time to rethink getting the repairs done. Truck only had 137K miles on it.
Anyhow, went to the local dealership, put the down-payment for the lease on the plastic and drove 1 home. Sold the truck to my mechanic and put the $1K back on the card and after 15 years am driving a new Smart Fortwo Pure Coupe. Love it. Plan on leasing for 36 months and then rolling into another lease every 3 years.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Welcome from central New Jersey. :)

I had a Nissan pickup for 12 years. It worked great but I wanted something smaller. :) I have a 2008 Smart Fortwo Pure, bought new (ordered in July of 2007 and picked it up in March of 2008).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome from central New Jersey. :)

I had a Nissan pickup for 12 years. It worked great but I wanted something smaller. :) I have a 2008 Smart Fortwo Pure, bought new (ordered in July of 2007 and picked it up in March of 2008).
Nissan makes a great truck, don't they? I had the '97 XE, probably smaller than the one you had. As a matter of fact I don't think they make 'em that small any more. I only averaged about 4K miles a year, used it mainly for commuting. That's why leasing was an option for me. I am sure I will not go over 10K miles a year or 30K during the 3 year lease of my Smart Fortwo Pure Coupe.

So you have been driving your's for over 6 years, how do you like it? Good thing you didn't get an early 2007, I heard the W450 engines had a reputation for needing rebuilds at 60,000 miles. :(. How's your 2008 been treating you?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts