Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am Tristan, I am a 31 year old commercial real estate manager in sunny Scottsdale Arizona.

I just purchased a

2009 Smart Fortwo Brabus convertible. Silver with black leather and silver stitching. I have had my eye out for these for several years. I had a boss in seattle that had a black one with black wheels (Powder coated) and I always loved the center exit exhaust and the sliding ragtop/convertible. Perfect in seattle being you can put the top up and down while driving. I have owned nothing but convertibles. I have owned a wide array of cars from a Ferrari 355, Audi TT, Bmw Z3 & Z4, Porsche Boxster, Custom Miata le, del sols. This is a different step in car ownership for me being the cars so small. I have looked for along time for a silver brabus convertible and I finally found one.

I would like your guys input on the car.

I got a 2009 with 64K Miles I think is on it. I paid 8.800.00$ Do you think I got a good deal? Cars body is 10/10 Interior is 9/10 and I state only and nine because the matts are missing. Was elderly owned and driven around az* only.

I am getting a lot of flack for buying this car but I plan on lowering it another inch in the front and 1 1/2 to 2.00 in the back once I can figure out how to lower it without the oil filter being ripped off the car being so close to the ground.

I am really surprised how much the maintenance is on this car for what it is the maintenance Compares to the likes of my audi & bmw prices.

The cars supposed to arrive on a carrier later this week so I am very excited for some reason more than my boxster and audi tt when I got them new.

Hope to meet some of you people and converse on here with you folks.

Tristan,

·
Registered
300 Posts
I traded some airplane parts for mine. Love it. And I've owned some nice cars also. Still do. I agree that maintenance is wacky. If your car needs a valve adjustment at 60k, it could run over $1000.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Welcome:

Hello Tristan and welcome to the forum. Looks like you acquired a nice looking smart. Post some pics when it arrives. If you want to custom tailor your Brabus smart, check out Smartmadness in Signal Hill, CA. Just go to the supporting vendors on the lower left of this page & click on Smartmadness. I am sure you will find lots of accessories there. We have many people who have traded in their luxury sport car or sedan for a smart & absolutely love the car. Let us know about your driving experience, once you have spent some time with the vehicle.

Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Welcome, my smarts have nowhere near close to that many miles but i've never had any problems with mine.

People always knock the smart yet there are exotic car owners that own lambos, ferraris, porsches, etc. and also have smarts and love them so i could give a crap about what anyone has to say. :D

And its part Mercedes-Benz so its automatically cool :cool:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Valve Adjustments-Smartmadness:

To reply to Jet Provost's question, I would contact Smartmadness & ask them. I know that they have rebuilt several engines and cylinder heads, so in all likelihood, they will do valve adjustments.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh lord. I have been on there smartmadness site a lot over the last few months. I plan on getting the chrome tail light rings and some carbon fiber eyelids...

Yeah I owned a 1999 Ferrari F355 Spyder. No maintenance can derive just how much it costs to maintain it not to mention problematic issue's that happened a lot typically overheating and aux lights and turn signal issues. The engine out was 6.500$ + 800$ and that was cheap compared to the dealership that wanted 8.700$ and that's totwards a car I paid 51K for.

There a maintenance schedule on this car or a 101 on quarks and such with these cars? I can't seem to Find stuff on these cars at all.

I looked for months and months for a brabus convertible in silver or white. I found 13 for sale on between cars.com, Ebay and craigslist since October and 8 of them where coupes and the rest where convertibles.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Oh lord. I have been on there smartmadness site a lot over the last few months. I plan on getting the chrome tail light rings and some carbon fiber eyelids...

Yeah I owned a 1999 Ferrari F355 Spyder. No maintenance can derive just how much it costs to maintain it not to mention problematic issue's that happened a lot typically overheating and aux lights and turn signal issues. The engine out was 6.500$ + 800$ and that was cheap compared to the dealership that wanted 8.700$ and that's totwards a car I paid 51K for.

There a maintenance schedule on this car or a 101 on quarks and such with these cars? I can't seem to Find stuff on these cars at all.

I looked for months and months for a brabus convertible in silver or white. I found 13 for sale on between cars.com, Ebay and craigslist since October and 8 of them where coupes and the rest where convertibles.
I had a 2006 Viper that I dropped over 10k into the engine, close to 950 hp. It was insane to drive. My current Shelby is 517 at the rear wheels. I just love it!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hi Tristagen:

Welcome to the forum. I'm in your area (Fountain Hills) Eagle Mtn golf course. We now have 4 smarties in our subdivision. Mine is a BLK Cabrio, with silver Lorinser Speedies if you see me around (usually Shea Blvd). In summer, I keep it in the garage since the A/C tends to zap the HP a bit. It's a fun "winter" car :).

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Tristagen:

Welcome to the forum. I'm in your area (Fountain Hills) Eagle Mtn golf course. We now have 4 smarties in our subdivision. Mine is a BLK Cabrio, with silver Lorinser Speedies if you see me around (usually Shea Blvd). In summer, I keep it in the garage since the A/C tends to zap the HP a bit. It's a fun "winter" car :).
That's funny your in fountain hills. My good friend lives there I visit there a lot. He lives off saguaro blvd in them condos overlooking the fountain. I bet a 100$ You seen that smart fortwo cabriolet that was for sale at that small dealership there off saguaro blvd as you come around the bend. I think it was white. He wanted like 9K it was and 08 I think it had 25-30K miles.

Do you go to the carshow at the fountain park there on sundays? My friends brings there Ferrari, Lotus, Aston martin and pantera down.

I have some serious questions for you being you are in az* also.

1#Do these have good ac in az?
2#Do they overheat in az?
3#do they have a good heater in az?
4#Where do you have your car maintained? Smart Chandler is not far in fact they have a white brabus now..I went down there last sunday.
5#There things that affect this car a lot more being in az?
6#Would you consider this a great car to drive from july-october.
7#Do you ever see any fortwo convertibles? I have seen maybe 2-3 this year. I see a red one all the time.

Here is the photo of the one at smart chandler.

Window Sticker.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So am I not the only one that gets crap for buying this car?

People have not even seen my car yet and they are saying bad things

There been any figures on how many fortwo brabus ed* where made in couple and convertible?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Give it a while, they'll come around. I've been driving my smart to work for almost 3 years. The other day another coworker was commenting his new Dodge 4X4 crewcab didn't do too bad. He gets 300 miles out of a tank. I go: that's cool, I get over 300 out of my tank and it took $19.31 to fill it yesterday. How much does it take to fill yours? He replied $120.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I walk with confidence owning a smart. Even some of the women at work make the comments like "we know he is not trying to make up for the lack of something else like the rest of you guys" then they poke fun of the guys in giant trucks and fast cars.

I had some guys last week yell at me (had my window down) "Hey man, CUTE car." I was like "ya, the payment and gas for this cost me less than the fuel alone in my Wrangler....this things an investment."...their faces went from /loldork to /shame

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
My fighter pilot buddies are the worst!!!! They seem to be genuinely worried about me!!!!
...show them the YouTube video of the early car hitting the barrier at 70 mph...then explain to them that's the smaller car...not the USA version...ours have more safety features...

Jetfuel...that'll shut'm up...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts