Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just learning as much as I can about my 2008 Passion Smart Car. I do have all of the manuals and the window sticker. Just 1 key and really want a spare just in case.
But, the manual so far does not tell Many mechanical questions I have. I do all of my service work. I am retired Military and have the time and really want to maintain my Smart for a long term relationship.
Mechanically, I have found every question answered on You Tube last night.
But have one question that forum members may help me with. My body color is yellow and about 1/2 of the yellow panels, the clear coat is just peeling off and very dull in several places. Can any members here tell me where to buy or swap out body panels like the manual refers to. Thank You for any help-Jim Kyle in TN
And I have 125,000 miles on my 2008, but drives great! Please if anything I need to do now-Please tell me-Thank You!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Take them off bring to a body shop and have them reclear them for you do most the labor taking them off and on so it would only be a fraction of the cost for all new body panels or even someone’s used ones that you don’t know what shape they are in

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Welcome to the club! Youtube is a world of real life information and a big help to everybody. There are a ton of members on here that have seen just about everything on these that can go wrong. Unfortunately the peeling clearcoat is something that does happen. The Yellow was kind of a special color that was only around for a year, and then discontinued, then brought back, only a different shade. Having the clearcoat redone is a good idea as it will continue to peel. sanding it down and reapplying it is one way to fix it, or if you can find a used body panel set , they go for around $600 or so. Shipping is what kills you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank You so much for the help! I would really like to find a body panel set in any color. I could really make my car look really nice. And I Race and we are going to trailer it to the races and use it for a Pit Vehicle. And it will solve another problem too. We have never had a licensed car with us to drive to the parts house or a store for food or drinks. And the Toterhome is just too much trouble to unhook and use and also just too large to get around in town. So out comes the golf cart and in goes the Smart car. If anyone knows of any nice body panels, please let me know @ 931-580-8804 or [email protected]
Thank You! Jim Kyle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THANK YOU for the suggestions and HELP! STILL; I would like to buy a complete body panel set in any color for my 2008 Smart Car Coupe. My yellow is peeling bad, but would buy straight out or trade if someone's talent is to paint them and they could use them? THANKS, Jim 931-580-8804 or [email protected]

Watching YouTube as the factory manual does not give hardly any advice on service or intervals. I changed the rear trans/axle fluid today and waiting on the oil filter and air filter to service with an oil change next.

If anyone has a certain place to look at or site that can give me certain areas of service/intervals I need to do, please steer me in that direction! THANK YOU and appreciate all of the HELP! Jim Kyle

·
Registered
348 Posts
https://www.smartusa.com/service-and-maintenance
THANK YOU for the suggestions and HELP! STILL; I would like to buy a complete body panel set in any color for my 2008 Smart Car Coupe. My yellow is peeling bad, but would buy straight out or trade if someone's talent is to paint them and they could use them? THANKS, Jim 931-580-8804 or [email protected]

Watching YouTube as the factory manual does not give hardly any advice on service or intervals. I changed the rear trans/axle fluid today and waiting on the oil filter and air filter to service with an oil change next.

If anyone has a certain place to look at or site that can give me certain areas of service/intervals I need to do, please steer me in that direction! THANK YOU and appreciate all of the HELP! Jim Kyle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just finished all of the services (filters, oils and greases) that I know to do by reading nearly all of the forum areas. I finished putting Brembo Brake pads on the front and 2 new tires. All is good, except, I have a right front wheel bearing roar. I went ahead and ordered the SKF repair kit (for both sides) that you press in the strut, and going to repair that myself. The Car has 120,400 miles and is running strong, shifting great and all feels good driving. I am just wondering if the back axle bearings need replacing now or do they go out at about the same mileage? THANKS for any help! Jim Kyle

931-580-8804 or [email protected]

And still looking for a set of body panels, any color as long as the clear coat is good for a 2008. And has anyone wrapped a smart car body?? THANKS, Jim

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
body wraps are pretty common, mostly for advertising, but you could wrap it in any thing you want. You might have to do a bit of work on the clear coat that is peeling to get the wrap to stick good I'd guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts