Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this website today after searching for info concerning Canadian Smart cars. What a treasure trove for those of us who are infatuated with these little gems! Many thanks to the creators of this site and the enthusiastic members who have helped to make it so interesting.

I'm located here in Ohio where the taxes are high & the economy is low.

Last week I had the good fortune to test drive a Passion Fortwo that I discovered at a used car dealership close by. It had only 500miles on it so basically it was new. I found it's acceleration, handling & spacious interior to be remarkable for such a tiny car. The tectronic transmission seemed to work well but it would take some getting used to. The car was so visually appealing that I came close to parting with the 24K+ greenbacks, however my frugality overcame the urge. I really would prefer a manual with the turbo diesel. It seems that only the Canadians have those options available at this point in time. Gee, am I jealous! :(

If someone from the great white north with a used manual diesel would like to take a scenic drive to OH & fly back with a fat wallet, let me know, eh? :D Then I'll only have to figure out how to license it!

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Unfortunately, the Canadian spec smart cars cannot be imported. The diesel engine does not meet US EPA specs and the rest of the car does not meet DOT specs without massive changes done by G&K.

So you would be best off to buy a G&K converted smart like the one you found locally. I have had mine since March 2006 and love every minute of it!

Good luck...Tom

1 - 2 of 2 Posts